Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Oh dear.....

Euphoric !

Oh dear.....

This has absolutely nothing to do with daycare. Just curious to see how many others do this.....you might even get a chuckle here or there This might be long, but I'm so curious as to whether this happens to other people.

I'm a terrible sleeper and have reasonably frequent bouts of insomnia that can last days or weeks. During an insomnia period, I sleep very restlessly and have had a tendency to do odd things in my sleep. Upon waking I may have a very fragmented memory of it, but it seems like it might have been a dream. A couple of examples:

1. I took some medication one night (waaayyy back in my married days) and fell asleep on the couch. The only thing I remembered was waking up around 5am and climbing into bed with my then husband. When we both woke up in the morning, he was furious (FURIOUS) with me. He stated that as he was tidying up around the house, I followed him around telling him he was lazy, useless, etc. Apparently it went on for quite a while. As he told me what had him so angry, I had a very vague memory, sort of a snapshot, of sitting in the kitchen saying things akin to what he was telling me. Colour me embarrassed.

2. We brought the remaining 2/3 of my son's very large birthday cake home from our party at my sisters. It was wrapped up and rested on top of some things on the bottom shelf of the fridge. When we woke up the next morning, more than half of the remaining cake was missing and a bowl covered in icing was on the kitchen counter. I was quite annoyed at the little piggy who ate all that cake, though the boys swore up and down that they didn't touch it. Then after several minutes of arguing with the kids, I had a (again) vague memory of a piece of confetti icing hurting one of my teeth. Oh doG!!! I had actually woken up in the middle of the night, taken the cake out of the fridge, unwrapped it, got a bowl and fork, cut a massive slab of cake (MASSIVE), re wrapped the cake, put it away, ate the cake, put the bowl by the sink and gone back to bed....all without waking up!!!!! Who the hell does that???

I've been known to walk around the house, turn all the lights on, then turn them all off again then go back to bed. I've woken up seeing people in my room and had to be talked down by my (then) husband. Got up to look for grape jelly once. Woke my husband by smashing little animals I saw running on our bed. Warned my husband (when dating) not to go on patio at cottage as there was an old lady out there. Upon describing her the next morning from my dream, it turned out to sound like his dead grandmother, who I'd never met (freaky!). Started planning a baby shower for a friend who I thought had called to tell me she was pregnant (she didn't). She did call me a few months later and had the same conversation which freaked me right out! Scared the absolute crap out of my sister when we had to share a bed at Christmas one year. She reached over me (sleeping) to get something from the nightstand. I suddenly reached up, grabbed her arm and said "Don't go in the closet, someone's in there". She said she nearly needed to change her pajamas! I feel for the poor slob to takes a chance to sleep in my bed next

I'm going through another round of insomnia again. During my very restless sleep, I heard people yelling in the street in the middle of the night, but incorporated that into my dream. In my dream I yelled obscenities at them out my open window. I have the absolutely dreadful feeling that I might have actually done that....in my new neigbourhood, at my new neighbours. What????

The earth can swallow me whole any time now....please
    Last edited by cfred; 06-14-2013 at 12:17 PM.

Euphoric !
    Oh wow Cfred! That sounds totally awful and terrifying!!! Does it only happen when you take medication or does it happen other times? If it is the medication, I would talk to your doctor about trying something else (or maybe look into natural alternative). I would go to a doctor anyway and see if there is anything that can be done to help you...sounds like you could actually harm yourself one of these days

Euphoric !
    It's not really terrifying per se. Most of the time I don't realize I've done anything, but have a 'feeling' that I might have. When I go through periods of insomnia (like now) my dreams are almost lucid, in that sounds infiltrate them and are incorporated and I respond to them and can control what I'm doing, sort of. I've had full conversations in with people who talk to me when I'm asleep. I speak in context and answer appropriately, but remember the conversation differently when I wake up as in my dream, the conversation is different....more surreal and the context may be different. I'm aware of making decisions in restless sleep, but still feel as if I'm in a dream, so it's all surreal. I really don't know how to describe it any other way. I'm not on any medication typically, so it's not that. It's almost like, when I have insomnia, that I never really am fully asleep...sort of in between asleep and awake...and am an active participant in my dreams and decision making, though I'm not aware that they're dreams all the time. When I wake up fully, it's sometimes hard to discern whether I've just dreamed something or I actually did it, as with the yelling obscenities out my window last night. I'm not sure if I actually did it, but knowing this feeling, I may very well have. Very odd feeling.

Maybe meds should be looked at....this sounds nuts!!!

apples and bananas
    If you eat a gigantic piece of cake in your sleep, do the calories count?

Euphoric !
    LOL....I like to think not! I was dieting at the time so my girlfriend said my body was staging a coup...lol! I've done the sleep eating thing quite a few times....wake up and find cookie crumbs on my chest or a granola bar wrapper under my pillow. I've just started dating someone....perhaps he should be fairly warned

So I'm guessing this doesn't happen to many other people.....oh crumbs (pardon the pun).

Starting to feel at home... jammiesandtea's Avatar
    Geez, I was gonna suggest maybe laying off the pharmaceuticals, lol, but if they aren't typically a regular thing for you... I don't know what to suggest. Except maybe the addition of some, I guess! lol ... Seriously though, it's kinda scary for you. To be honest, sleep-walkers have always scared the crap outta me! Too many scary movies when I was a teenager I think, lol.

P.S. I hope it turns out you didn't really scream obscenities at your new neighbours. Or if you did, that they have a sense of humour.

Euphoric !
    Here's hoping for a sense of humour! I have new neighbours moving into the very next townhouse tonight and tomorrow. This weekend....sleep with the window CLOSED!!!

Euphoric !
    Maybe you should post a big sign on your lawn "I sleep walk and sleep talk...disregard anything you hear past 10pm"...LOL

Euphoric !
    Not a bad idea Sunnydays! LOL!!! The sign should include 'Keep your door locked & hide your sweets too" maybe.

Gawd....have a date with the new guy tonight.....perhaps a warning over a glass of wine is in order. Maybe my quirks will be endearing?

Euphoric !
    Hopefully he hasn't watched that movie where the woman murders her husband while sleepwalking...LOL.