Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Euphoric !
    Joan, are you a home daycare provider? There are threads on this forum explaining a lot about the overhaul the government is threatening and we are not happy about it. Maybe you could research a few of those threads and maybe you can explain why you are on our forum so that we know where and why you are coming from and can understand your point of view. Because right now I'm completely confused as to your posts and your reason for being here.

The government does provide subsidy to people in Ontario who qualify and they are able to use mostly daycare centres. I'm at the low end of the scale where rates are concerned but my clients pay over $600/month for excellent care. I don't know what else I can say.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    Joan, are you a home daycare provider? There are threads on this forum explaining a lot about the overhaul the government is threatening and we are not happy about it. Maybe you could research a few of those threads and maybe you can explain why you are on our forum so that we know where and why you are coming from and can understand your point of view. Because right now I'm completely confused as to your posts and your reason for being here.

The government does provide subsidy to people in Ontario who qualify and they are able to use mostly daycare centres. I'm at the low end of the scale where rates are concerned but my clients pay over $600/month for excellent care. I don't know what else I can say.
    I was wondering the same thing. Who is this lady. She was posting in the coupon thread, but posting garbage stuff.

Euphoric !
    I consider myself to be a high quality provider. I'm formally educated in the field, have been in business for many years with a page of glowing references as long as your arm. I'm currently expanding my experiences as I work with special needs and the various therapists who pass through to work with kids in my home. This is an invaluable learning opportunity for me. I cater to specialty diets including all forms of vegetarian (including vegan) and have researched those diets at length, formulating some fairly impressive and diverse menus. Our foods are natural, home made and any meats are purchased from local farms, are ethically raised and slaughtered and are antibiotic/hormone free. I have a light curriculum which focuses on bi-weekly themes and utilizes spontaneous, day to day learning opportunities in addition to planned activities. I've dedicated the entire main floor of my home to the daycare. My back yard has also been fully dedicated to the daycare with all my perennial flower beds being ripped out in favour of vegetable gardens used as an ongoing daycare learning experience. I currently have 5 baby chickens taking up residence in a large aquarium in my living room (part of another weeks long learning opportunity) to be followed up with a group trip to the farm to finish up this section of learning. Our learning leans strongly to respect for nature, animals, others and ourselves and there is a strong focus on personal empowerment and pride.

I command $45/day. You don't feel it's worth that? This is on the higher end in my neighbourhood and I'm full, now interviewing people 'just in case something comes up'. My clients are exceptionally happy and tell me as much on a very frequent basis. People don't even bat an eye at my rates when they see what I offer. I feel, as do my clients, that my fees are most reasonable for the quality of care their family can enjoy. It may sound like I'm tooting my horn, and I am! I've worked hard for most of my adult life honing my business to get it this far. It has cost me a fortune and an incredible amount of stress to finally get to this point. I'm extremely proud and protective of this business that I love so much. I'm finally seeing the culmination of years and years of effort, research, practice, accomplishments and setbacks. I've frickin' EARNED my bloody $45/day and the proof is in the clients (past and present).

People like you, Joan, wouldn't even make it in my front door for an interview. I'm not interested in clients like yourself. However, being polite to the death, if you did make it past my initial screening, you'd swiftly be added to my fake waiting list with a cordial smile No worries.....I'm sure one of the much cheaper home daycares can get the tv and Kraft Dinner warmed up for ya!
    Last edited by cfred; 07-06-2013 at 01:22 AM.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Cfred, your daycare and home and gardens all sound fantastic! I loved hearing all about your setup. Maybe we should have a thread where we all tell our best qualities! I pride myself on my nutritious, organically grown, non-prepackaged foods too and that's the bulk of my expenses for the daycare. I've stocked up on lots of craft supplies over the years and my felt board games, puppets and other props have all been purchased and stored away in the craft cupboard so I'm not spending much on anything like that any more.

My rent is low and we are always travelling to the park, library and other places that don't cost me any money except for my bus tickets, but they are a tax deduction. I'm also very proud of my themes and the teaching that I do, on our lesson/creating day once a week and all day every day as we play inside or outside. Even as we walk down the street I'm teaching the children or playing I Spy or other games with them. I admit that I've cut down to one craft per week which matches our theme because when I was new I was overdoing it on crafts. Those are my major selling points.

So all of that helps me keep my rates under control and pass the savings on to my clients. If I made a lot more money I would have to pay more taxes. But every one of our situations, finances and daycares are different.

I don't think that we should feel the need to explain or defend ourselves to anyone else besides ourselves and our clients. It's unfair when people jump to conclusions about our businesses when they don't know anything about our individual daycares.
    Frederick Douglass

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think that's a fantastic idea Momof4! I'm always open to hearing about other people's set ups, themes and strategies. We all have our own way of doing things but I often find myself reading things in here and thinking "Man, that was an awesome idea...why didn't I think of that?!" Let's do that next week! I've followed your posts for a long time and have been right impressed

Yes, you're like me...the food is my biggest expense. Huge actually! But, it's important, so we don't sweat it, right? You're so lucky to have a landlord who's cool with you doing the daycare. I did as well and rented for 18 years. Personally, I loved it as I never had to pay for big repairs. Now that I own, I'm discovering the unpleasantness of home maintenance....ugh.. ..never ending.

I know, I shouldn't feel the need to justify to people like Joan. I suppose I'm a little sensitive to some remarks, as I'm sure many of us are. This industry is so disrespected and misunderstood. It's frustrating to work as hard as we do without the assistance of a governing body that works for us rather than against us. When people like Joan, who are clearly living by the 'ignorance is bliss' motto, make stupid and provocative comments it gets very frustrating, especially after rounding out a very tiring 60 hour week with the whopping compensation at less than minimum wage (no benefits). Woot woot!! She also forgets to take into account the much lower living expenses in Quebec.....pffft!
    Last edited by cfred; 07-06-2013 at 11:53 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

That is a great idea. So parents can read that threat and see where our fees are coming from. They may realize that we are charging a very low fee for all the effort and expenses we have...I really do not understand how some can spend a lot in new cars, high mortgages, brand name clothing, but prefer to go with the cheapest low quality daycare to take care of what is supposed to be the most valuable thing in their lives.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I make $4/hour per child less expenses. There you go. Right now I have 4 children in care so I make $16/hour less expenses. I work really hard but I've never been happier. I should be miserable and angry and feel underpaid and undervalued. I'm definitely NOT one of the providers who sees rainbows and unicorns everywhere, I'm a total realist. I've learned how to cut back and organize and run my daycare like a well oiled machine so that I'm happy and content. There's the secret! Trust me, I speak from aged experience!
    Frederick Douglass

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post: