Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !

And they are worried about unlicensed daycares??

Check out this article in the Ottawa Citizen. Quite disturbing to say the least :

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/ot...752/story.html

I am not surprised though...awhile back I was contacted by someone who was looking for care for her 4 year old because he was being physically held down on his cot at naptime with the caregivers knees on top of him

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Oh I know - it just makes my blood boil when people state that licenced daycares are so much "safer" I wish every daycare provider would attach this link to a letter that they write to their MP protesting the changes to the DNA that they want to ram through.

Euphoric !
    But it also tells us some things about children in general in the sense that a 4 year old is supposed to still be at an age when they obey the adults around them meaning if I say sit I expect them to sit, etc. Unfortunately kids are not being raised to respect any kind of authority. What was happening is for sure wrong but it has to make you wonder exactly what we are supposed to do with children that do not cooperate. with infants and toddlers I have more control because I have ways to restrain them such as in a highchair, stroller or playpen - ie tied into time out of sorts. But with an older child we are at their mercy - another good reason to stay with the little ones.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Sorry, but a lot of 4 year olds can't sleep during nap time and shouldn't be forced to if they can't,,, it doesn't show lack of respect on the children's part- but more on the adults side

Starting to feel at home... jammiesandtea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearlessbaby View Post
    Sorry, but a lot of 4 year olds can't sleep during nap time and shouldn't be forced to if they can't,,, it doesn't show lack of respect on the children's part- but more on the adults side
    With all the daycares I know, center or home based, 4 year olds are not forced to SLEEP, but they are required to lay still and quiet on their beds and REST, which they still most definitely need at 4 years old. And I agree with playfelt's comment that many kids today are not being raised to respect authority, and THAT is part of the issue here. Of course taping them to their beds is unacceptable (though any daycare provider who denies the idea has briefly crossed her mind when dealing with a child who won't cooperate is a liar, in my opinion, lol)... but most of us have the self-control and the good sense not to do anything like that.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jammiesandtea For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    way too many loop holes in this story.
    I don't know, before I side with anyone I think they should have looked into this situation a bit more.
    if these children were bound with masking tape, wouldn't you think that someone would have noticed what is going on, parents are coming and going all day including where was manager, the administrator how about the other workers.
    also kids can talk, esp. at 6 yrs old why didn't anyone say anything
    also, it was only one parent who reported this???? what did the parent do when she saw this, did she call the police, cas (because thats abuse)
    also how does this parent know that it happened on more than one occasion did she witness it, if she did then she is to blame
    I'm wondering if there is some sort of a disgruntle parent thing going on too

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Fearlessbaby View Post
    No body was forcing the child to sleep. He was being asked to give his body a chance to lay still for a period of time to rest and relax and regroup. And that is necessary for a healthy brain. In most cases the time required is one hour or less for this age group.

This was totally about a power struggle in which the adults had non. That is not the way it should be. As the adults what we say should be what goes. There is a reason an adult is put in authority over a child.

Starting to feel at home... dragonlady3's Avatar
    I think we should respond to the reporter (kegan@ottawacitizen .ca) and discuss this issue. There should be more investigation before the issue is made public. Maybe the staff are in a crowed room with too many children, a situation that is not acceptable to those of us in independent home care situations (with good reason). I hate it when the child care provider is criticized before there is a proper investigation.
    I agree that there are many unanswered questions re: the person who reported the problems, the person who did the taping, the person who stood by while it happened and the general layout of the room, the number of children trying to rest in the room, staff to child ratio during this rest period, the personality of the child(ren) in question...so many questions.

Euphoric !
    http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Daycare...752/story.html

If you scroll down under the story and the other ads there are comments that have been posted. Will be interesting to keep coming back over the next few days and see what is posted.

Euphoric !
    While I do not think it is ever okay to do something like taping kids down or holding them down, I see Playfelt's point as well. In my home daycare, I would never need to even daydream about such a thing because if no disciplinary measures are working then I would terminate the child as it would most likely be a case of parents not disciplining at home. Daycare centres don't have this leeway I am guessing, nor do schools and boy do I feel sorry for teachers these days! In my son's JK class there were so many disciplinary problems that when we went for our parent teacher interview, all the teacher had to say about our son was "He is so nice". My son has been kciked, hit, punched, bitten, etc by both girls and boys and he is in a good school and they are doing their best. It is sad that our society is getting to the point that kids are driving adults insane with bad behaviour and the adults don't seem to know how to turn the situation around. And another trend I have noticed is that most parents seem to think their kids should no longer nap when they turn 3 or maybe 4 max...so they are not napping at home or having any downtime at all. I wonder what recourse daycare centres have for kids who refuse to lay on their cots at quiet time etc? Can they be kicked out for such things?