Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

New family - Issues Already?!?

Looking for some input and advice about a particular dc family I have. They started one month ago. I sent them my package, and they returned it with a one week deposit but didn't include the contract (got all other forms)... I didn't push for the contract because my gut told me I'd probably have some issues with them...and now the issues have started....I charge a daily rate based on how many days dcb is here each week. I received 1/2 payment for this week and when dcd picked up dcb he said payroll at work is to blame. Said he'd catch up and pay next week in advance by weeks end. Yesterday and today, dcb has been dropped off with a full diaper (as though he hasn't been changed from the night prior)...and he's wanted a bottle milk ASAP. ..drop offs have turned into 10 minutes before I open (which I'm going to address tonight)....I feel as though they are pushing and or testing their limits with me. I really have the feeling that dcb isn't going to be here with me much longer as it was communicated in the beginning that job stability has been an issue in the past...so the question is, WWYD? Dcb is very sweet and I like having I'm here, especially now that he is comfortable and seems happy...should I over look these issues and trust my gut in thinking this is probably just a temporary arrangement? Or should I bite these issues in the bud now?

Outgoing
    Nip it in the bud NOW! I promise you, if you let it go, it will get worse. And when you finally talk to them, they will ask why you didn't say anything before, as though it is all your fault.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to treeholm For This Useful Post:

Trust your gut and have a firm chat regarding the issues you have raised. I sense alot of manipulation on their part starting with not returning your contract. From what you have said, I don't think they plan to stay long and if job security is the issue, there is a really big chance that you will not be paid in full for your service. One day, they just won't show up.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Get the signed contract from them ! Let them know what time you open and if they need to come earlier there will be an extra charge and tell them the child's diaper must be changed prior to coming. Simple common sense issues that equal respect!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    Nip it in the bud now! 10 min early is going to turn into 15, and then 20. Late half payment will turn into a full late payment.

If they come early you advise them on day one that it's not acceptable.

If they pay late you refuse care until full payment is received.

It's the only way.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... jammiesandtea's Avatar
    Yes, wise advice from the other ladies. Nip it in the bud now, and tell them you require the contract signed and returned to continue care. Otherwise, you are allowing them to dictate your business and how things are going to go.

And if you aren't already, make SURE you get your fees paid in ADVANCE of care. Otherwise, you are almost certainly guaranteed to get stiffed when this family leaves.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jammiesandtea For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Oh no, no, no, no, no! I would not provide care for a minute without a signed contract. I sit with families before they start and go over all the policies together and make them sign every paragraph to show me they understand them and will abide by them so they know I'm serious before they even begin care. I'm running a business and my rules are law.

Please sit this family down ASAP, hopefully after work today and do exactly as I described above and don't let them push you around even one more day. They don't have any respect for you so demand respect NOW!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

I tell families that all information is needed BEFORE child begins care with me. If something is missing, the child does not come. It's for my safety and for insurance purposes I tell them.

Also, my thing is 'no pay, no stay'. Do NOT accept the child into care if the parents have not paid for the day!

Respect goes a long way. If they can't respect you and your business, then they need to leave.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

You have a good leverage here. If they do not pay or sign the contract the kid is not getting into your house. Very simple and If they decide to go, well great! I will be happy and dancing around if a family like that leaves!!! No paying and making you work after hours!!! People should have more respect for the ones that take care of their most precious thing in their world!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Artsand crafts For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Yep, send them home with a warning letter tonight stating that you require:
    1) Fees to be paid in full before returning to care.
    2) A reminder of your opening time and that you will not be ready before that time.
    3) All daycare children need to be clean, dressed, and fed prior to morning drop off
    4) Contract must be signed and returned before care can continue.

If they don't show up respecting all of your wishes tomorrow morning, it's time to say goodbye. You don't need to deal with that kind of disrespect!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou For This Useful Post: