Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Part time DCB

Euphoric !

Part time DCB

So I have a part time dcb who is with me 2 days a week. He is currently on probation due to difficulties settling at nap time and not adjusting to the program because he is part time.

My question is: he is doing better but still not great. Do I use this "out" to get rid of him as I am thinking of only offering full time care and I may not have a reason to term down the road? Can I keep him and choose to term him later if I find a full time family for his spot and if so, what reason do I give the family?

Pros
    • I like the mom
    • He is pretty good at entertaining himself
    • He is already 2 and will just keep getting older which is a plus to balance out my age group
    • If I term now, mom has the summer to find care (teacher)

Cons
    • He has slight developmental delays so although he is 2 my 16 mos old is less work and more ahead in her development.
    • He still cries at nap time but it seems to only last 30-40 mins and is less screechy and more just crying.
    • I haven't been able to find anyone long term to fill the 3 other days just short term clients that have been awesome. I could fill this with a full time but it would mean another baby.

Euphoric !
    id take a full time baby over a part time anything

I always start with infants and I do not do part time care. Babies are easier for me. When I was doing part time I never got to fill up the rest of the hours not used by a part time child.

Starting to feel at home...
    I think replacing a two day a week child with a full time child is a legitimate reason to terminate down the road if you want to. I would just be completely honest with the mom and let her know that the reason for termination is solely based on having a full timer over a part timer. Sounds reasonable to me

Euphoric !
    So I have a contract with this family. Can I just end service with proper notice because I want to? Or do I go with the behaviour issues with his being part time?

Euphoric !
    I like babies as well however I have my own baby and 2 other dc babies. 4 babies? I don't know...plus I have a 3 year old and I like the option of another older child for her however she doesn't play with the 2 yo anyways.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by torontokids View Post
    So I have a contract with this family. Can I just end service with proper notice because I want to? Or do I go with the behaviour issues with his being part time?
    I don't see why not. You don't need a behavioural issue to terminate - wanting to replace with full time seems legit to me. As long as you give proper notice and are honest about your reasons I dont see anything wrong with that! I have no idea if the rules are different if you are working through an agency though.......

Euphoric !
    You should stick to your contract, whatever it states for a termination process. If you have a 2 week notice period you will have to honour that. Not napping is not the same as something serious like a violent child that would warrant immediate termination. You don't want to damage your reputation.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    Momof4- I of course would give the required notice. I was just unsure if contracts could be broken "just because" as long as I gave notice.

I am noticing more and more that it might not be a fit and these issues I think all stem from his being part time. We were at the park today and I never go to the park when he is with me but I thought I would try today. Because he doesn't have as clear an understanding of what I expect as my full time kids do he doesn't listen as well, he wanders etc and then the little ones follow him. I put him in the stroller when he goes off but I am always "retraining" this kid. When I was doing my summer schedule I felt very limited in what I can plan on days he is with me because of this.

Euphoric !
    Oh I see, yes we all have a right to invoke our 2 weeks notice at any time and not have to explain our reasons as far as I'm concerned. Or whatever termination period is in the contract. On the other side of the coin, the parents can do the same thing to us. They have that right too.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.