Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Spot for parents doiung shiftwork

Hey All!

I am just wondering what you all do when you have a part-timer whose schedule changes from week-to-week? Without a fixed schedule I would think that I would have to charge full-time rates because I can't get another part-timer to fill the off days.

Thoughts?

Euphoric !
    Exactly that !!!! I had one of those when I first started.... It was a rotating schedule anywhere from One to four days a week and stupid me only charged her for the days she was here .... My advise ... Charge full time rates
    Last edited by Crayola kiddies; 06-25-2013 at 08:34 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I had a dcMom who worked shift work, started in 10 or 11 or picking up in the middle of naptime. So I had to make a rule that all children must be dropped off by 9am and picked up after 3pm. Also I made a rule that children must attend 3 days/week or I must be paid 3 days/week minimum. But I do enjoy an easy day or two each week. Some people want to be full all the time but I don't mind it.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar
    I have one and she pays me at the beginning of the month for a total of 12 days (min payment required). Her and I both keep track of the days dck is here and if it's over 12 she pays for the extra days. At first she was paying me for just the days dck was here but some months it was only 9 days, and I told her in fairness to my other part timer, I need a min. of 3 days per week, or 12 per month. She agreed and so far it's worked out really well.

Outgoing
    Thanks everyone, I have decided that it's basically a full-time spot because all days have to be available for care. Thanks again!

Euphoric !
    What I have done in the past to give the parents a break is to only charge them for 4 days a week but keep all five open to them. It sort of helped them out since some weeks it was only 2 days they were in care and only 2 weeks out of 6 that they were here 4 days and never 5 days but as you said all days had to be saved. They did have a schedule though so I also had a couple drop ins for friends such as leaving the child while they did errands but did not give the space away till the morning of that day as the family was to let me know 24 hours in advance of changes to the schedule or I could not guarantee accommodating them.

Starting to feel at home...
    I would charge them a full time space. They are needing one and since you can't fill time around them, I would charge them the whole space.

THEY work a rotating/shift schedule YOU don't so they need to pay accordingly.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to KellyP For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I have two like this, and I regret not being firmer with it when they started. They were my first two families, and I wanted to be accommodating. One is here anywhere from 2-5 days a week, but the other is here 1-3 days a week - but I've kept a full time spot open for both. I've decided to just take on another child and treat the 1-3 day a week kid like an extra (it still wouldn't put me over my numbers).