Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Vacation pay?

Outgoing

Vacation pay?

I'm currently looking for some new kiddos, and thinking of changing my contract for them. I'm wondering what everyone else does for vacation pay?

Currently I have them paying for days that I'm open (they still pay when they're on vacation), but they don't pay when I'm on vacation.

With our sons provider before my second mat leave we paid her holidays and ours.

I'm wondering what everyone else does?

Starting to feel at home...
    I charge 52 weeks a year. Child care rates are based on enrollment NOT attendance.

I close for a total of 10 days per year. One full week and the rest are holiday days.

I don't have built in sick time as I have back up for my own children if they get sick and can't be here and I have never taken a sick day in any job ever. I am lucky to be a really healthy person I guess.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to KellyP For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My families pay two of my three weeks of vacation plus 7 personal days in case I am sick or my kids are sick. They also pay all stats plus Christmas Eve (for which I am closed). It depends what the norm for your area is though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Essentially, if I'm open you pay. If I'm closed (minus Stat holidays), you don't pay.

I tell parents to take their holidays when I'm off. I'm off 2 weeks at Christmas, March Break, and 2-3 weeks over the summer. I plan my holidays and tell all the families what my plans are in January for the year.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Play and Learn For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I'm paid for 52 weeks a year also .... I'm closed for 3 weeks holiday, and stat days, I have 5 personal days as well but I only took one last year and so far one this year. I only don't charge if I close due to my sickness and that has never happened.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I'm paid for 49 weeks of the year in full fees no matter what days the families attend. They can have days off, vacations, sick days, stat days, but they pay for their space. They do not pay for my 3 weeks of closed vacation because I'm not available to them.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I also charge for the full year. I take two weeks holidays (usually in the summer) and am closed between Christmas & New Year's. I also have 6 sick/personal days, but have never used all 6 in a year.
    Payment is by enrollment, so if their holidays are different from mine they still pay.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to daisy For This Useful Post:

I have a question about this: My daycare provider informed me a week ago she is taking 2weeks vacation in July. I was shocked when I picked up my bill a few days ago that I was being billed for her vacation. I just looked over her contract and there is absolutely nothing about this, only stat holidays are mentioned. How do I kindly bring this up with her? She obviously needs to update her contract and I don't feel that I should pay as it wasn't in our contract?!?

Gouchy, I would just kindly state that her contract does not state her vacation should be a client paid vacation. If she had changed her policy, it should have been reflected in your contract. It this is not the case, then you are not required to pay. Your provider should back up her vacation policy's in her contract.

Euphoric !
    Gouchy, sorry your provider has done this to you! First of all, I think she has given you pretty short notice for a two week vacation. I plan all my holidays for the year in December so parents have had 6 months to arrange things for my summer vacation weeks and I think the minimum notice I would give for a 2 week vacation would be 3 months because most people have to arrange their vacation days at work well in advance. And no, if there is nothing in the contract about it, you should not have to pay for those days. Just keep it short and unemotional and let her know that there are no paid vacation days in her contract.