Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Just a Vent.......

So, I have this dcm who's kind of a Type A personality (also a little bit of a PITA personality if the truth be told but never mind....) So, when she arrives to pick up her son my daughter greets her in her usual excited fashion. As all the other daycare kiddo's do too. Let's face it - parent's arriving to pick up kids is like a rock star arriving at the door. DCM's response: she grabs my daughter by the shoulder and in a mean voice (not firm, mean) tells her that "she just wants one day where she's not hanging off her at pick up". Umm - really ? Yes, my daughter (and all of the kiddo's for that matter) is very excited to see you. And FYI, I A-L-W-A-Y-S redirect my daughter if she's getting out of hand. I don't want anyone to be mauled by my over enthusiastic toddler. However, you're the twit who started the pick up routine where you swing my daughter all around (don't start something that you're not going to want to continue) - I just love it when you leave my house and she's all cranked up. You could also shorten your pick up routine by about half an hour if you wanted to minimize the opportunities for her "hanging off you". Try staying in the foyer like the other parents, (instead of coming into the playroom, chatting with me about your day at work, your weekend plans and everything else under the sun) allow me to give you a brief 5 or 10 minute shake down on your son's day, and then get on your horse and go home ! Honestly, I'm trying to be a well mannered human being here by taking an interest in your life beyond your son - would it kill you to bite your tongue if you've had a rough afternoon and my daughter is getting on your last nerve ? I realize that it's total Mama Bear syndrome, but it really hit a nerve with me this afternoon. For the last three days running she's brought her son in the A.M. with a dirty diaper, his jammies on, and no breakfast - nice thanks I get for being gracious about it and not turning her away at the door. (I have a no shirt, no clean bum, no breakfast - no service policy here but I do try to be flexible with parents if they're just having a crazy morning and they can't get everything pulled together by drop off time) So glad to be off the clock for a couple of days - can you tell that my vacation is totally due ? Happy Friday ladies and thanks for letting me "get it out"

Outgoing
    I think that I would have to send a message or address it on monday and say that you are sorry that your daughter was a bother to her a pick up and in an effort to make pick up run more smoothly, you kindly ask that she remain at the front door to pick up her child so as to avoid any future problems.
    would she like you to treat her child in that manner if you were having a bad day.

Euphoric !
    Who says that to a toddler? Especially someone else's toddler.....and in front of them? I mean.....I'm not sure I could have held my tongue through that. Hurt MY child's feelings? Don't. Think. So. You're awesome for not unleashing a little venom in her direction.

A well deserved vent, Mama Bear!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to cfred For This Useful Post:

I would ask her to address all morning issues, clean diaper, no pjs and keep her visits short at the door at pick up so the other kids do not bother her. With someone like that with my my kid I will not have any flexibility at all.

Starting to feel at home... jammiesandtea's Avatar
    Holy crap, that woman would have to be crazy to grab MY toddler by the shoulder and speak to her meanly, IN FRONT OF ME and IN MY OWN HOUSE. I would not have even TRIED to hold my tongue, to be honest. I think you would have been more than justified to show her a little of that Mama Bear mode, Monday 2 Friday Mama. I'm not saying scratch her eyes out in the playroom (like I'm sure you briefly considered at least for a millisecond) LOL, but I'd have gone with a sharp, "Excuse me?? That's a little harsh." - punctuated by my "severely unimpressed" face.

I also like gramma's suggestion, to send an email addressing it: "you are sorry that your daughter was a bother to her a pick up and in an effort to make pick up run more smoothly, you kindly ask that she remain at the front door to pick up her child so as to avoid any future problems."

This lady needs to be put in her place. To think she can come in to your home and business, spend half an hour whining about her personal life, and put her hands on your daughter while speaking to her harshly... she is in serious need of an attitude adjustment.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jammiesandtea For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Yep, and be sure to include something about keeping drop offs and pick ups quick. I would have been highly offended too (my son gets excited like this to see daycare parents as well, but he is 2 and has a lot of traffic in and out of HIS house daily), and quite honestly if I saw even a hint of annoyance on her part again after sending her the message, I would be saying goodbye. How's that for mama bear?? lol

I would have shown this woman the door. Grabbing my child and speaking harshly is a line crosser for sure. Parents, please keep your lousy work day at the door and put on your happy face when you come to pick up your child. Little kids are really good at reading our faces and our negative feelings are easily absorbed by them. Honestly, how can you ever refuse a happy little kid running to greet you?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Another reason why I am so happy I have a gate between the entrance at my front door and the rest of my house. When the doorbell rings I go to answer it and then parent comes into entrance way and only the child whose parent has come enters the area. The others must stay behind the gate even though they can be right at the gate and talk and interact but not physically in the way. This is a time for parent and child only.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Wow. Super sorry to be the one to say it, but if any parent grabbed one of my kids by the shoulder and spoke harshly to them, they would NOT be welcome in my home any longer. I also would never allow a parent to come in and sit down at pick up time, but maybe that's just me.

I'd freaking fire someone who put their hands on my child in anger. No WAY.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox Sally View Post
    Wow. Super sorry to be the one to say it, but if any parent grabbed one of my kids by the shoulder and spoke harshly to them, they would NOT be welcome in my home any longer. I also would never allow a parent to come in and sit down at pick up time, but maybe that's just me.

I'd freaking fire someone who put their hands on my child in anger. No WAY.
    What she said ^^^^

NO WAY would I ever allow a daycare parent to talk to MY child like that!

WOW~ Just wow!