Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Need ASAP Advice - HEAD LICE!

I was sunscreening dcg age 4 about an hour and a half ago, and I saw that her head is covered in nits. I hve been calling, emailing, text messaging both her parents for 90 mins and nobody's answering. Is this an emergency? Should I call their emergency contact? I have three other kids here, and I am having to keep her separate from everyone else. It's not easy. She was sitting on my furniture this morning. She was laying ON MY BED yesterday during quiet time.

Also, her brother is in school full time. Should I insist he be checked and treated before returning? To complicate matters, tomorrow is their last day here. Should I say goodbye today, or accept them after treatment tonight? UGH. Help.

Hey Sally,

I personally would be calling the emerg. contacts...eww makes me itch...Anyway :S

This would be the last day of care for me, and I do not allow them back until its been successfully treated and 24 hours have elapsed.

apples and bananas
    I would be covering her head with a plastic bag. Get her hair up and get it covered. Then, I would try to keep all kids outside until parents show up.

Yes, I would call emergency contacts. I would also call all other parents and let them know. Give them the option to pick up, but I would be closed the following day for cleaning.

Lice is a pain in the butt to get rid of. I'd take a personal day to clean.

If tomorrows her last day then it seems like today will be her last day. I would ask for 24hours after treatment.

My worst nightmare... I'm itchy just reading about it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

I have contacted the other parents. Only one parent opted to remove their child. He was very understanding.

I finally heard from the mother. She said, "sorry, we've both been in meetings and just got this. Let me see if I can get someone to come get her". Ugh. That was 30 mins ago, and I've heard nothing from her since. I'm seriously freaking out. Just leave work and come get her already!

Euphoric !
    First .... She probably got it from the brother since he is in school ....they don't screen at school here in Ontario anymore and the health unit doesn't have an exclusion period anymore. My policy book says that the child us not permitted back until after the second treatment and depending on what treatment the parent buys it could be anywhere from 7-10 days.... And I get to check before readmittance. Since tomorrow us their last dag then yes they would be gone based on my policy. As for you and the other kids ...... Check all the kids heads as well as yours and your own kids .... You need to bag up all your stuffies/dolls ect ... Anything that can't be washed ...for two weeks.... Vacuum all carpets couches ect and wash your linens in hot water..... Lice can only live off the body for a short time (less then 2days) they do not live on pets.... You can close tomorrow if you like but as long as you or your kids don't have any lice then you don't really have to .... Any kids in daycare that have it must stay home and be treated .... That's how I would proceed ! Fun fun

I won't be closing unless my own kids or I have it too. I don't think it's necessary. Everything I have read says that you don't need to do any extra cleaning beyond washing bedding and vacuuming all fabric/soft surfaces. I'm so upset. I am exhausted, my husband is out of town, I have three kids of my own, softball games, and all this extra laundry now to do.

Her mom understands that they won't be returning. She brought it up, not me. Phew.

Starting to feel at home...
    Hang in there, Sally. ((hugs))

three hours later...she's still here.

Good thing she wasn't violently ill or something. smh

Outgoing
    that stinks. But lice don't live ofsite if not on human hair. Fleas are even worse because they live everywhere. Hugs to you, my dh is going out of country till tues, so I'm stuck with 4 kids and all the activities, it really stinks when one thing throws you for a loop, I completely understand.

Starting to feel at home... jammiesandtea's Avatar
    GAH! I have no personal experience with this yet, or advice, but I am empathetic and am sending you virtual support and hugs!

Hang in there.