Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

So sick of the excuses

I have been advertising my daycare now since February and I've had 5 interviews with families. I've had TONS of inquiries through my website etc...but then nothing comes of them. I was supposed to have an interview last week for a family looking for summer care for their 2 kids since their babysitter told them she couldn't do it. They backed out after their current babysitter decided to accomodate them afterall. I was supposed to have an interview today at 2pm and the lady calls at 12:30 to cancel to say that her sister's friend is going to take her kid.

I had an interview 3 weeks ago that went extremely well, the family told me they loved my location, they felt really comfortable with me, were impressed with my playroom etc....only for them to find someone else a block from their home. Ugh.

I get told my price of $34/day for full-time is too high. Meanwhile most providers in my area are charging $35.

I currently only have 2 school aged children who just started with me in May when I opened. I told this family that I was quitting my job to take on their kids and to be able to stay home with my little ones. They just gave me their 2 weeks notice because she decided she doesn't like her job.

So, now I am back to having 0 kids in my daycare. I am getting so stressed out, frustrated and worried about our own financial situation too. I have one family who I am waiting to hear back from about starting in September and it seems really promising, but part of me just feels like there will be another excuse.

/rant.

Outgoing
    That's terrible! I've had a parent drop out of care because grandma could do it. It's frustrating to always be told that there is a cheaper option.

One thing I've heard recently is to try to make yourself an "authority" on childcare. Like bring information in and post on a bulletin board, try to take any quick online seminars on childcare (you could list it on your website or display a certificate in your home), or find some good parenting or childcare sites to link to your website. It will draw parents in knowing that you've gone te extra mile and have been searching for ways to excell in the field. Not that I think this is a job where you can read it in a book and be good at it. But if it draws families in, you will get a chance to show them all your other skills.

You could also find a hook to get parents, like being all-natural/organic, focus on development, preschool programming, etc.

I hope you get some good families in soon, and can relax a little bit!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 2cuteboys For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I have seen some other providers on here give good advice regarding why you are doing it. Many have said it is not wise to say you are doing it to stay home with your own children or that you left a previous job to do it. Parents sometimes feel more confident in knowing their provider is opening their home to children because they feel a calling to do it. That they have a background surrounding children, even if they don't possess an ECE diploma. Maybe don't bring up that you are doing it to stay home with your children and left a previous job.

I in fact do run an at home daycare for the same reasons as you, but when speaking to parents and advertising I always draw on other things. I let parents know that I came from a very large family and my entire life has been surrounded by children. So, it is true I do not have an ECE diploma but I know and adore children. I also play up things I offer that other providers in my area do not. We all have that special something that makes us a little unique.

Best of luck, it truly is no fun interviewing and looking for clients. I also have had my fair share of excuses and a couple of no call, no shows. Which I find beyond rude. Any no call, no show is an automatic "no" from me. The one lady called the day after not showing up and I didn't answer the phone... she also didn't bother to leave a message. But there was no way I would care for her child after that. Once again hang in there and the right families will come.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SecondAve For This Useful Post:

The above posters have given excellent advice! Show your confidence during the interviews. Proudly show off your facility and tell a little about your daycare day as you show parents around. ie. "this is our book nook, we have story time everyday and each day a child gets a turn at choosing the book we will read" Give the parents a feel for your daycare so they can picture their child with you. Also, if you have photo's of your dck's playing, crafting etc. post those on the wall in a multi photo frame. It shows you treasure the kids.
    I know it is frustrating looking for kids. I always find August/Sept are busy times as mat leave mom's who included the summer in their leave are now searching for care. Good luck!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mimi For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I'm so sorry Venus, I thought you were finally getting things on the right track. If it makes you feel any better I just advertised my space for 3 whole months and met the STRANGEST people I've ever met! Nope, nope and no thank you very much people!

The good news is that I kept going and trying and the right family finally found me. I had to project confidence in every interview even when I felt like I was lower than a snake's belly. The ladies have given you good advice. Find your niche, your special talents and put them in your ads and in your interviews.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post: