Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I have to admit as well that I have been here a lot less, just not enough time, and some times other things to do.

Euphoric !
    I for one should be paying more attention to making better use of my out of daycare hours too but it sure is a challenge when just sitting down with a cup of tea and the computer is an option. I find I am spending most naptimes on here instead of getting at least something done like a tub of laundry and then having to do it at the end of the day instead. We are our own worst enemies aren't we, lol.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    I for one should be paying more attention to making better use of my out of daycare hours too but it sure is a challenge when just sitting down with a cup of tea and the computer is an option. I find I am spending most naptimes on here instead of getting at least something done like a tub of laundry and then having to do it at the end of the day instead. We are our own worst enemies aren't we, lol.
    I have the same problem! Once I sit down and get on the computer, it is sooooo hard to stop! I always promise myself I will get the laundry folded or do some dusting or something during naptime...but I NEVER do! Computers are evil and addictive

Not on here much either, but I now have my own DD 7 months to care for in my spare time!

Quote Originally Posted by Play and Learn View Post
    Not on here much either, but I now have my own DD 7 months to care for in my spare time!
    OMG you had a baby???

How did I miss this? Congratulations!

Yes, I agree that forums can be time-suckers. But I also think they are a tremendous resource. Where else can you get an instant, situation-specific answer from experienced professionals in a matter of minutes? In any other profession that level of free coaching would cost you thousands of dollars. Most dcproviders are very non-egotistical people and therefore do not see each other as competition and freely share ideas, solutions and advice. I think you would be hard-pressed to find any other profession that shares as freely with it's "competition".

I also believe that forums save children's lives. I really do. I have personally talked many a provider off the ledge and brought them out of levels of frustration that could have potentially caused harm to both the children in their care and/or themselves. And these were normal, caring, reasonable people who were just pushed too far that particular day. They are/were not monsters or "unfit". They are just people with emotions and feelings, and frustrations like anyone else, who, unlike any other profession, have no where, except an internet forum, to get the support they needed. And, sadly, they had to do it with a level of anonymity because, in this profession, there exists a double-standard and people judge.

Forums save children's lives, the sanity of providers, the employment of many a provider as well as all the positive, good things like ideas and activities and crafts.

I don't begrudge any provider for having daily internet time. I am going to bet that if you could go and speak with providers who have committed atrocious crimes against children you would find they were isolated and had no one to talk to. They were likely walked all over by parents, and felt they were just an "employee". THOSE are the providers who find themselves in irreversible situations.

Forums are the best thing that ever happened to the daycare profession.
    Last edited by Judy Trickett; 07-09-2013 at 03:41 PM.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home... jammiesandtea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Trickett View Post
    Yes, I agree that forums can be time-suckers. But I also think they are a tremendous resource. Where else can you get an instant, situation-specific answer from experienced professionals in a matter of minutes. In any other profession that level of free coaching would cost you thousands of dollars. Most dcproviders are very non-egotistical people and therefore do not see each other as competition and freely share ideas, solutions and advice. I think you would be hard-pressed to find any other profession that shares as freely with it's "competition".

I also believe that forums save children's lives. I really do. I have personally talked many a provider off the ledge and brought them out of levels of frustration that could have potentially caused harm to both the children in their care and/or themselves. And these were normal, caring, reasonable people who were just pushed too far that particular day. They are/were not monsters or "unfit". They are just people with emotions and feelings, and frustrations like anyone else, who, unlike any other profession, have no where, except an internet forum, to get the support they needed. And, sadly, they had to do it with a level of anonymity because, in this profession there exists a double-standard and people judge.

Forums save children's lives, the sanity of providers, the employment of many a provider as well as all the positive, good things like ideas and activities and crafts.

I don't begrudge any provider for having daily internet time. I am going to bet that if you could go and speak with providers who have committed atrocious crimes against children you would find they were isolated and had no one to talk to. They were likely walked all over by parents, and felt they were just an "employee". THOSE are the providers who find themselves in irreversible situations.

Forums are the best thing that every happened to the daycare profession.

I agree wholeheartedly with all of this. Very well said, Judy!

Starting to feel at home...
    Judy is sooooo right! Forums have been a life saver for me and had it not been for forums..... I'd be crying daily right along with a couple of my worst daycare kids.

It's just nice to know that other's are in the same boat now and then.

So true!! Pre Daycare Bear forum I shudder now to think how little I knew about business, standing up for myself and my work (had no trouble in the corporate world, yet self employment made me feel vulnerable) and yes, about child care in general. I do not think it is a waste of time visiting a couple forums that potentially you will learn something from and improve your business. Thank you to all the ladies on this forum who made me a better provider through you opinions and advice.

Euphoric !
    I'm so happy I discovered forums soon after I opened my daycare and I've been a fan ever since. They saved me or I might not have made it in this business to become a success. I have tried a few forums I didn't like but I belong to some that I find extremely valuable as well like this one. We are so isolated working alone with tiny people that it's really nice to reach out to adults during the day who understand our special problems.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.