Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Expansive...
    Hi ladies,

I don't know what to do or how to approach this situation. I had a DK leave two months ago due to a move to a new city. I am on facebook with both parents so I can keep in touch and see how there little one is doing. His father is still local and gets him on weekends as the parents are seperated. He has asked to come for a play date. I feel very uncomfortable about this but I don't want to be rude?

What do I do?

Starting to feel at home...
    Although I do find it difficult to keep daycare and business seprate due to the age of my kids, I feel like I still do kinda, I sometimes beat around the bush and delay doing things that I know I should do and that I would do if I wasnt friendly with the parents, but I do eventually do it (ie like raising my rate slightly b/c suddently I'm now providing breakfast, putting my foot down about late pick ups). I know it will get easier, b/c I can already see that its easier w/ the 2 families of the 2 kids that are younger than mine. But I do hope that when these kids no longer need daycare from me that our families can stay, or finally become friends, b/c our kids having grown up together, are going likely (hopefully) remain friends.

If you are uncomfortable with the possibility of a social meeting with these people then you should probably remove them from your social media.

I have a strict rule of no facebook with daycare families. It saves me from situations like this.

I hope you work it out.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

All business here. I used to have clients as friends in the past, but that blurred the lines of the contract in their eyes. I recently had a parent expect me to go along with me allowing them out of their contract and reimburse 1400 to them when the wife was suddenly no longer working. When I said no they pulled out the friend card, even though we were not friends, but friendly during drop off and pick up. They tried to blackmail me with allegations of neglect, unsafe conditions and abuse. The notice they gave admitted that they knew the terms of the contract but wanted me to give them an exception, that their children thrived in my care and that they will be sad to go. I replied with a few short lines putting them in their place rather quickly. If they didn't perceive us as friends, that never would have happened. Looks like I need to be even less friendly.

Euphoric !
    Skysue; if you are uncomfortable, don't do it. Sounds simple, but it's the truth. Either tell dad straight up or just be "busy" everytime the invite comes up.
    As for my clientele, I would say that I am friendly with them, but not friends. I have a few of them on FB, but don't socialize outside of that. That being said, I can see becoming more than acquaintances with one family. We have been invited to their daughter's baptism next month. Not sure if we will attend or not.

I wouldn't do it. This is my JOB - not my social life.

I have learned my lesson with not being friends with parents that's for sure. I went into this set on not being friends but slowly let my guard down with one lady and now she is starting to be late paying and not paying in full, not showing respect etc etc. I have a really great respectable family that has invited me and my DD to her kids birthday parties which I do attend but it's always professional when I go and I don't reciprocate and invite to my daughters bdays. Instead I like to do a bday party at the daycare for each child, that way they get to all be together. It's lots of fun and we all bake a cake, not to big of deal to me and the kids love it.

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    I became friends with a daycare mom when I FIRST started out and miraculously,it worked out, almost 3 years later, he daughter is in school and we are still good friends .But,she is an amazing mother and was an amazing daycare mom. I will never ,ever befriend a daycare parent again however. Like the others have said, it can all go very bad,very quickly.
    I like to keep it friendly but professional.
    If a parent keeps on inviting me over and doesn't get the "hint" I have told them outright that I don't mix business and pleasure. It was awkward, but I had to choice.
    I can't wait until my kids are older and not friends with the daycare kids anymore !

I have only ever gotten together with one family after hours. Their youngest and my little one are less than a month apart in age and they invited us to his birthday party last month. We went and had a wonderful time. Although with that being said I'm not making it a habit to hang out with the family after hours but with this particular family I don't see a problem with it now and then, for the rest of my families it's purely business!

NOOOOOO.....don't do it!!! Any of you!!!

Laughs....its SO not worth it!!! It leads to all kinds of problems.....like what happened to me....one of close gf's referred my present client to me, .....and for some silly reason, I went out with my gf and this client for a movie night....well, then my client thought we were super close....which we are not.....long story short....i booked a vacation....and the client BOOKED the SAME vacation bc she thought we were FRIENDS, not clients!

Thank goodness for Hurricane Irene who shut down her connecting flight and she had to refund her whole vacay while I sailed off into the sunset (nervously waiting to see her on the same boat and quietly saying PHEW when I knew she didn't make it!)