Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Question OUTSIDE-Play time-Question

So I live in alberta, it is currently 28 degrees outside right now. How do you/shoukd I get the kids outside.. When they get here at about 7:30 it's already close to 20 degrees.

I have a slide outside and I have a kiddy pool set up. There are 2 big trees that offer shade.. The older ones know they can sit in the shade but the younger ones like to play in the Rick put and walk around so they are in the sun alot..

So my question is how to others handle all this heat. Di you go outside and just larger everyone up in sunscreen and hats or only a couple hours in the morning/30 minutes before parents pick up?

Also what kind if activities do you do if you are inside because of the heat.. I feel so bad staying inside, especially cause the winter here was so long and we had three weeks if really bad rain

Expansive...
    I'm in Ontario where it is often warmer than that with humidity and we go outside everyday. All my dck's are under 18 months so if it really sunny I try to engage them in an activity that I set up in the shade. Paintbrushes and water to 'paint' the fence, bug catching, bubbles, sand table moved to shade etc. You can also lure them to the shade with snacks ha ha! Enjoy the summer while it lasts. Shade sails are a cheap way to increase the shade in your yard too!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

apples and bananas
    I take them out for an hour in the morning and an hour in the afternoon before pick up. We do popsicles in the afternoon (home made of course) and in the am we will sometimes bring the water table out. But I always make sure they have water outside to drink.

I don't do kiddie pools, I just feel uncomfortable having them around so many little ones.

Expansive...
    If there is a heat alert expected, or humidex advisory expected then I take them outdoors right away after everyone arrives. This way they are still getting some outside time but before it gets incredibly hot. For the really hot days I plan a water day (pool, sprinkler, water table, squirters), so we can enjoy the heat in a safe way!

Brooke91, enjoy the nice weather. In Ontario we are used to the heat and humidity and yeah the smog alerts that come with it.
    Just make sure that while you are outdoors the kiddies have water available to them at all times. Sunscreen and of course hats, but if we are in the shade, I allow the kids to take off their hats as many of the kids sweat horribly in their hats.
    I do water table and sprinkler. I do have a hard kiddie pool. My husband made a plywood cover for it so it is covered when not in use and no child can remove it.
    If there is a heat alert and or smog alert, we will go out first thing in the am and that maybe it for the rest of the day. Enjoy! (Heard Edmonton reached a humidex of 40C today!!)

Euphoric !
    Haha, we've had humidity up to 40 off and on for weeks and we are outside every day, but early in the morning right after breakfast and we're back inside dripping with sweat by 10:30-11:00. The air conditioning feels wonderful.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Outgoing
    I cant imagine complaining that it is too hot lol no offense! we got outside everyday from 930-1130. we go to the splash pad, I have water table and sprinkler. I make sure the kids drink lots of water and everyone arrives with hats and sunscreen. depending on the day, we usually go for a walk or play bikes/ chalk in driveway for a couple hours before pick up as well. I cant imagine keeping my dck inside on such beautiful weather- their behavior would be atrocious! they need to get outside and burn off some energy everyday

Euphoric !
    Yup I take mine out everyday too unless its pouring .... We go out around 8:30-9 and come in at 11. If its really hot I put a couple of inches of water in the kiddie pool or put on the sprinkler. Our winters are so long I would never dream of complaining about the summer.

Euphoric !
    Ugh... Yesterday was RIDICULOUS!!!
    I know you Ontario ladies are just used to it, but us Alberta mountain-ladies just aren't. LoL
    We try to avoid the hottest time of the day, of course. Usually we are out a little before lunch (mid morning, 9:30-11ish), and then again for the last hour of the day or so. The really hot summer days, I will turn on the sprinkler (under the trampoline is a big hit for the older kiddos), and I have a little splash pad thing that attaches to the hose. Love the water table, I move it outside for the summer. I have in the plans to make "sponge balls" soon. Better/safer than water balloons.