Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Need help/advice with 16 month old's regression

I currently care for a 16 month old. She attends 2x a week. I have cared for her since she was approx 11.5 mos. she was adapting into daycare slowly but In the last month to month and a half or so, she has regressed a lot. She wants to be attached to me all the time. If I put her down she will cry. If I am out of sight she will scream. She doesn't soothe herself to sleep, she needs to be held until she falls asleep. A lot of the time, as I go to put her to bed she will wake up and scream bloody murder, disrupting other kids. If I leave her for more than 10 minutes, she will throw up, which she has done several times in the playpen. She comes early in the morning, like 6.45 am. She is often tired by 9 am but our scheduled didnt allow for her to have a morning nap. I know that sets her off too. maybe since its summer holidays I might be able to work something in for her. She doesn't walk, which I think adds to her frustration.

I have spoken to the parents. They have dismissed it as teething, needles, a cold, a bad nights sleep, a late night, or just shrugging their shoulders and going 'I don't know what it could be'. it is starting to take a toll on me. I am stressed out (and tired due to the early start) on the days this poor child comes. I have been close to calling the parents to come pick her up because there have been days where she had cried all day, vomited, and barely eaten. It affects the other kids too. I have another child who cries when this child cries. I can't play as much with the other kids because the little one is stuck on me like glue.

What can you advise me? Would it be fair to consider termination? I know she is just a baby still but I don't want to be stressed out either.

Euphoric !
    I think you nailed it when you said she needs a morning nap - she sounds exhausted.

It is also probably in an attempt to blame things on teething, etc. that the parents have bought into the want for attention and now it is a need not just a want because she has lost the ability to be self-sufficient - ie the parents took away her ability to cope. Does she go to bed for the parents or do they rock her to sleep with a bottle, etc. Do they let her cry when she wakes up or do they go to her right away. My guess is they are back to attending to her every whim and now she thinks she should be king of the castle at your house too.

I have a real thing for kids that need a morning nap In most cases it isn't the child's fault it is the parent's fault for not getting the child into bed in time to have a full quota of sleep. I would be rethinking your schedule and what prevents you from giving her a nap and make changes. If you can't then she needs to go to a home where morning naps are allowed.

Parent needs to be on board if you are going to make any progress since child is not with you long enough. What does child do on the days she is with parents and how do they deal with her - they don't likely see the problem because they don't experience it - they are too busy creating it.

Euphoric !
    I stay away from part time in general but when a parent goes on mat leave and wants to hold the spot then I have a 3 day minimum cause two days is just not enough especially at that age ... I agree with play felt that this child needs a morning nap even if its just 45 mins.... Change your schedule and since this child arrives early put the child down shortly after arrival and then you still have the rest of the morning to do what you want. I would also talk to the parents about not rocking to sleep ...... That would never happen here and I let parents know that prior to even beginning care..... They must self soothe ... No rocking ... No bottle in bed.... If they are not willing to work with you and I would give them a timeline such as if no improvement in two weeks then they will have to find new care.

apples and bananas
    As soon as a child throws up I call the parents to come pick up. I can't take a child that cries until they throw up.

It very well may be teething, lack of sleep, colds, needles... the fact of the matter is... if you can't work with the child and it's taking a toll on you and the other child then regardless of what is causing it, maybe the child is no longer a good fit for your care.

645 is an extremely early start for a little one I think. She needs a morning nap. Could you force her down at 8:30 - 9 so it doesn't interrupt your day?

I would give notice to the parents that if it continues more then 2 weeks (or whatever you think you can take) then you will not be able to care for the child. It's not in the childs best interest to be in care throwing up, not eating and crying all day. I can't imagine that's what they want for their child.

If you choose to keep the child I would spend time re training to sleep. Stay in the room, maybe in a dark room on the main floor continuing to put down until she gets it again.

Good luck, I hate this part of the job.

Euphoric !
    I open at 645 and I used to have one that I agreed to take at 630 but she did not pass go and she went straight to bed for 3 hours.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilywildcat View Post
    I have spoken to the parents. They have dismissed it.........
    Right there, that screams the answer to me. They dismiss you because they are not being consistent with sleep at home, don't care what you have to endure during your days as long as you send them home a fixed child so they can have a nice evening. You are worrying about this child but are the parents the least bit concerned? Doesn't sound like it to me.

I would have to terminate this family. I will not tolerate disrespect or any parent who will not work with me to fix the problem.

My policy is to have parents pick up their child if they vomit. I don't care the reason, they must come pick up the child immediately. I don't care if it happens daily, that's my policy. If the parents don't realize that they have to work with you then you are better off without them.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Outgoing
    This child is clearly exhausted. I think until you decide if you will be keeping the family or not, you need to implement morning nap. If she arrives at 6:45 imagine what time she is waking up and I highly doubt that she is being put to bed by 6pm to get the full 12 hours that is needed at this age. I would have her down for a nap absolute latest 8am for 1 hour max. Even 7:30. All of my dck arrive between 6:45-7:30 and are between 12-16months and ALL have morning nap still. They all need it! They go down for 1 hour 8:30-9:30...sometimes early depending on if its a Monday. Its not worth it for me dealing with miserable exhausted kids. I would rather have them nap for an hour. They all nap again 1-3pm.