Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Vacation Question...

Hi all!

In my contract it states that I do not charge parents when I am away on vacation, but it also says that all stat holidays are to be paid. If I take a week off and there is a stat holiday that week, would I be entitled to get paid for just the stat that week? It seems a bit unfair if I don't get paid for the stat since it is in my contract that all stats are paid... just wondering what you wonderful ladies think? And, if I am entitled to still get payment for the stat, how would I word that to the parents to just give them a friendly reminder of that?

I have the same policy, 3 weeks unpaid vacation time for me. If there is a holiday in between I do not count it as vacation day. What I mean is if I take the 3 weeks at once and there is a holiday there that would mean that I still will have one vacation day left to be used in the future.

So would the parents pay you for the one stat day?

Euphoric !
    I would be paid for the stat and that wouldn't count as one of my days off so I would only be using 4 days that week.

I take a week in August that falls on a stat and the parents still pay me for the stat. They also need to pay me for the stat if their vacation week falls on a stat as well. My contract states that my vacations are not paid, excluding stats and parents get ten business days of unpaid vacation excluding stats as well.

I don't charge if a stat falls during my vacation.

Euphoric !
    I am paid for all my stats so I try to schedule my vacations the week before a stat holiday weekend so that I have 10 days off total and go back to work for a 4 day week that is paid in full, but I've had one unpaid week off before that. Hope that makes sense!

However, in the fall I'm on vacation and flying away to Europe with the stat day falling during my unpaid time off. So I have advised my clients that the stat day will be used the next Monday after I return (jetlag recovery day) so that I will once again be coming back to work a 4 day week but to be paid for a full week.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Stats are stats not vacation days so you still get one vacation day. When I worked outside of the home i got paid for a stat even if on vacation.

apples and bananas
    I don't charge for stats, but if I did I would probably send out my vacation notice and word it as if your are going to take the stat on the following Monday.

So, this week for example.

"I will be off on vacation from Tuesday July 2nd and will return on Tuesday July 9th. I hope everyone has a wonderful long weekend. Just a reminder that you will not be responsible for payment during my vacation time, however, July 1st is a stat and payment for that day can be added on to the following pay week"

Or however your pay days go. I think you can get away with anything as long as your clear about your intentions.