Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Hitting children and late payments

Hi all! I'm so glad to have found Daycare Bear and a forum to talk to other care providers! I have a question about a child and their sibling I am currently caring for. This child (4yrs old) has taken to pushing, hitting and pinching. It was originally only directed at the sibling, but now also includes my children and others. I am counting down as the child will be going to school in September- but I am truly at my end with this behaviour. I cannot leave my daycare children alone for a minute (ie diaper change/ get a drink) for the child will cause trouble. I recognize it is a cry for attention, but nothing gets through (time out, revoked toys). The parents are aware of the issue and say they have the same at home (I shudder to think as they are expecting their third child!). It has come to a point that I wish to terminate care- I do have a clause in my contract about being able to terminate for safety. But the family is also late in payments (normally a pre pay of two weeks is required but vacation upset the schedule). Any suggestion regarding the hitting? How about a late payment fee? Thanks!

Euphoric !
    Well if it is attention the child wants then he will surely get it - the way we often deal with a child that is biting works for hitting or any aggressive behaviour and that is shadowing. That means when you move child moves and if you stay put child stays put. So if you have to leave the room to get a drink or change a diaper then the child has to accompany you. If you go to the bathroom child must sit outside the door with his hand under so you can tell he is still there. It generally gets old pretty fast and especially because whatever he was playing with is not protected while you are gone so he loses out on all fronts. After a day or so of that he gets to earn privileges back - ie no aggressive behaviour at all while you are watching and then he earns the right to stay with the kids while you get a drink or something really quick. Loses it just as fast though for an offence.

They should have paid before going on vacation and you should have told them the consequences of not paying before they left. With online now no excuses as you can pay from anywhere even on vacations. Tell them pay is due tomorrow or no care no excuses.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

I have a 5 year old boy that gets up to quite a lot of mischief when I am not present, he had to follow me around all day for almost a week before he got it now he is much better.

As for VACAY, one of my daycare families didn't pay before they left on vacation either and I told them that they had to pay 5/day for a late payment fee until it was paid.. They just got back today and had a pretty steep bill!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Brooke91 For This Useful Post:

I like the idea of "follow me". I haven't tried it before, but I will now. Thank you! (my only problem will be having my ears talked off! LOL)

Yes, I have a dcb 31/2 who must shadow me. He just refuses to comply. He hits the smaller kids and admits it - no remorse so he's with me always and has his rest in a room on his own as well.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyFarm View Post
    I like the idea of "follow me". I haven't tried it before, but I will now. Thank you! (my only problem will be having my ears talked off! LOL)
    Just ignore. Doesn't mean you are there to be his friend and engage and entertain him. He just follows you around and after a few hours the talking will just become a drone in the background.

Thanks all for the advice! I have now also amended my contract to include a penalty fee for late payments (I nearly missed my mortgage this month!) and a clause for possible contract renewal after one years time. The things we learn as we go along!