Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Expansive...

What is the youngest you will watch?

Hi ladies,

I'm just curious as to what is the youngest age you will care for and why?

I am open to care for anyone 5 months and over. When I was advertising, I heard that there were not many that would take the little ones. Because my education is ECE based, I was welcome to the idea of having the little ones.

Now that I'm full - the youngest that I have in my care is 11 months. I don't think I would now take the little ones. The youngest I'll take now is 10 months.

Outgoing
    My ad says 12 months but I would go about 11 months, depending on how mobile they are. I have my own 11 1/2 month old and I don't ever want to have more than one non-walker in my care. I think it's too hard to get them outside, down the stairs to the play room, keep their (usually) two naps a day.

Starting to feel at home...
    I'll only take 12 months and up as well. I just prefer the older age.

Euphoric !
    Normally it would be 10 months and up but if a younger child came along depending on the circumstances I might consider it but 5-6 months would be the limit.

Starting to feel at home...
    I started out with school age, as long as they were in or starting school that year I'd take them. I didnt want to deal with diapers, naps, strollers, high chairs, babygates, or potty training, bascially, I wanted kids my own kids ages. Then I realized I needed to have at least 2 of my spots filled by full time (for the income) so I resigned to give up pretty sweet deal and set out to look for 2 years +, but ended up with a 3 yo and a 9m old. Which I'd do again, but not for a while, I have my 3rd child due in Jan, so until this one is about 2ish I'd likely not take any kids any younger than it, just for my own sanity!! LOL! I love babies, but only 1 at a time!

I prefer toddlers. I think the youngest I would take from now on would be 18 months. I have a 12 month old starting tomorrow, and I am kind of regretting signing her on. I am just really not looking forward to the two naps, the "into absolutely everything" phase all over again.

Having said this however, about 95% of the calls and emails I receive regarding care are from parents who are returning to work after mat leave - therefore, 9-12 months old.

Starting to feel at home... Sunflower's Avatar
    the absolute youngest I would go here is 18months at the moment. All the others are older and I am not up for the challenge at the moment!

Euphoric !
    I originally advertised 6 months and up.... things have changed, though.
    Most people, as alphagetti said, are looking for childcare to begin at between 9 and 12 months. That would be the youngest I would take now, and only one non-walker at a time.
    Even at that, though, our newest addition is due in September and that fills up my "under one" spot. I wouldn't want 2 "babies" at a time, even if it was allowed. If I needed to advertise for a spot after she arrives (and I hope I don't), then I will only look for 18 mos-3 yrs.

I have taken kids as young as 7 months. Sure, more work but there is NO transitioning. Pretty sweet to NOT have a new kid screaming their head off the first two or three weeks. Really little ones just come in and trust you to take care of them. By the time they are 12 mth old they are old pros at daycare.

I have been VERY lucky this last year (even though it was a brutal, high turnover year for me for many reasons) that nearly all the kids I took on were at least 15 mths or older. There is a HUGE difference in daycare between a 12 mth old and a 15 mth old.