Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toilet training

Outgoing

Toilet training

I am kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I have no idea how to toilet train a toddler! My oldest son went to a centre daycare and they did all the work (or at least that's how my memory has processed the whole experience). Does anyone have any resources they could share or any tips on how to toilet train a toddler with a group where the other children are still in diapers?
    Last edited by gravy_train; 07-08-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Euphoric !
    If this is a dck then I would wait till the parents start and then once they see some success you support at daycare

Euphoric !
    I will start putting children on the toilet 2-3 times a day to help them practice when the parents tell me they are really working on it at home. In my opinion, at age 2 it is PRACTICE only and I insist on pullups or diapers at all times. When the children start to understand what's happening, for instance I have a 2 year old who always poops in the potty and she tells me she has to go, then I'm very diligent. But until the child really understands, it's practice.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Trace of Angels
    Ahhhhh Toilet Training............ the one and only aspect of parenting that can bring a mom to the absolute brink of madness!!!!!!! I remember it well.
    I am an avid believer in the "naked" method. It worked for my son and it recently worked for my DCB. But any method only works when the child is ready. If I have learned anything working with children there are two things that you absolutely cannot control in them.......one is their bladder and the other is their bowel. And until they are ready you might be wasting your time.
    My recent 2 yo DCB was showing signs of readiness a couple of weeks ago (dry diaper, watching what the school age kids were doing) so I decided to give it a go. Unlike most providers I introduce potty training first at daycare as I find that when the mom's introduce it at home it often tends to be a power struggle.
    Three days of naked time and he is fully potty trained now. (Lucky me I have laminate floors) Day and nap. I find it to be the fastest most efficient method. And even though it is a lot of work for those first few days, as you can't let them out of your sight even for a moment, it is worth it in the end and the parents are soooooo happy they don't have to do it LOL.
    Not sure if this helps you at all but that's what works and has worked in my daycare so far!
    Last edited by Trace of Angels; 07-08-2013 at 01:35 PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Trace of Angels For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    So how do you manage the other kids when you're toilet training? Do you still go outside?

Euphoric !
    While I like the "naked" method for my own kids when it is just them and I can watch them like a hawk etc...I would not use this method in my daycare. First of all, I don't think most of the parents would be happy to see naked children running around sitting on couches and toys etc with their bare bums, second of all I cannot watch them closely enough in a group and there would likely be many accidents for other kids to slip in etc, and third, I truly believe the parents need to take the lead on this and start the process at home...then I will support, but they need to wear pull-ups or training pants at daycare until accident free for a few weeks. And I agree with those who have said a child will not train until they are ready. My daughter just turned 3 and she trained a few weeks ago finally (I tried for over a year)...for her it was like flicking a switch (we had been practicing since before she turned 2)...she just suddenly got it and then she hasn't had an accident since and I don't even have to remind her. My two boys both trained the same way but right around the age of 2. I think the thing is that the parents need to be taking htem into the bathroom with them so they see what is supposed to happen and then giving them lots of chances to sit on the toilet or potty for practice from an early age.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by gravy_train View Post
    I am kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I have no idea how to toilet train a toddler! My oldest son went to a centre daycare and they did all the work (or at least that's how my memory has processed the whole experience). Does anyone have any resources they could share or any tips on how to toilet train a toddler with a group where the other children are still in diapers?
    Get the parents on board and give them a copy of this: http://www.livinghealthymom.com/how-...ys-with-carob/

I trained 2 kids on this program my own and a daycare boy. It really works, get the parents to do the initial 5 days then you take it from there!

I used the "naked" method with my son and he trained very fast. He was ready for it, asking sometimes to go to potty and delivering #1 and #2, but he was lacking consistency. I encourage parents to follow this method or the "underwear" method during vacation time when I see they are ready, but ask for pull ups at daycare. I would never do it at daycare. I could not stomach picking other kids poop from the floor or others getting all battered with pee or poop. When I did it for my son I have to keep a close eye to clean the mess fast. I do not know how could I have done it while changing others diapers, fixing meals or going for washroom breaks.

Euphoric !
    One of my daughter's trained one of my grandsons with that method while I was on vacation since he was in my daycare. It worked great but she would never have asked me to do it at daycare. She called the the Free Range method and she cleaned poop off her floor a few times.

One of my clients with a 3 year old son is doing the same thing but taking his diaper off when they leave my daycare and he gets it put back on when he arrives here. They know I'm much too busy with all the other children to ask me to try this at daycare and I appreciate their consideration and respect.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Trace of Angels
    Quote Originally Posted by gravy_train View Post
    So how do you manage the other kids when you're toilet training? Do you still go outside?
    I put shorts on for outside, no underwear and no diaper and I bring a kids Ikea potty with me wherever I go.