Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Kids that young do need that afternoon nap time, which can be phased out as they come closer to kindergarten age. But yes, if your provider needs her nap time and you don't want your child to be napping then, it's maybe time to change the provider.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by 1kidmama View Post
    She says even her 4 year old follows the same thing, and she claims he goes to bed early like 8pm... Really? I can't get him into bed before 11 if he naps....
    What is your routine at home? Routine is important.

What are his activities at night? There shouldn't be physically stimulating activities at least an hour before bed-time. The child should have time to wind-down. He should be in a sleep-inducing atmosphere (book reading, no tv, noise level muted etc..,)

Some people find it hard to sleep with the lights on....even with lights from outdoors filtering in. Find out what's keeping him up.
    Last edited by betsy; 09-24-2013 at 05:14 AM.

Expansive...
    I didn't read every answer. But I noticed that no one brought up the fact that, we, the providers also need a break.

We don't get two fifteen minute breaks and an hour for lunch, we are with the kids from the time they walk in the door to the time they leave.

I agree that children need some sort of rest, and I do wake them up so as not to interfere with the bedtime routine, but I NEED TO REST TOO! LOL. I need a moment to clean up after lunch, do some paper work, and maybe veg on the couch for a few minutes. I need to recharge so I'm not so worn out at the end of the day that I don't have energy to make dinner, play with my own kid, talk with my husband, fold the laundry, do the dishes, prep activities, have interviews (breathe) shower, bathe my kid, disinfect toys, watch some tv maybe? grocery shop, go out?, have a drink without passing out?, etc, ec, etc.

I would talk to your provider about limiting nap (it wont hurt him or stunt his development) so you both can be happy
    Last edited by Cadillac; 09-24-2013 at 07:35 AM. Reason: typos

On the news they did a feature story about kids napping at a nursery school. The teachers all said the same thing, the kids are better behaved, more attentive and learn better if they have napped. I find the best part of my daycare day is after nap. The kids are in great moods and play much better co-operatively......... and yes, I need a break too so I will be in a better mood for the evening portion of my day!!!

Outgoing
    Dr. Art Hister also says that kids need a nap. It helps them focus on what they're doing and they also retain more.

Shy
    I do naps for my two children (3 and 5 years old). They're usually sleeping by 2pm and nap time is over at 4:30. But my daughter (she is the oldest) wake up between -3-4. I don't force her to sleep longer because I think if she is awaken so this nap time was enough.