Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Would you ask the mom or leave it alone?

Maybe I am just paranoid but I am wondering if my 3 yr old dcb's mom might put him in a preschool now that he is older. I know they love me and the program but he is at an age where centre care makes more sense and is cheaper. I have no other reason to suspect they might do this however they just moved to a new place with a daycare centre nearby.

I would be willing to lower his daily fee a little bit to keep him (I think cost would be the only reason to move him). My daughter is now super close with him and I think it would be worth it so she can keep her playmate (as all other interested parents usually have younger children).

I was thinking about feeling it out with his mom "do you think you want to keep ___ at the daycare until kindergarten?" I guess I don't want to offer them a lower fee if she isn't even thinking about it however if she gives me one months notice it would be too late to then offer a lower fee to keep him. I would also be concerned that my bringing it up might get her thinking about it if she hasn't already. WWYD?

Outgoing
    I'd ask. I asked one of my parents what their plans were for summer and turns out, they planned on giving notice (dcm was changing to casual employment and grandma doesn't charge based on enrolment ). The extra time (outside notice) allowed me to start advertising earlier than if I hadn't asked.

If anything it would give you time to advertise or to offer them a lower rate if you choose to do so. If it were me I don't think you asking would put the idea into my head. Plus I don't know about Toronto, but daycare centres usually have a huge wait list over here so if he isn't on a list by now, I doubt he'd get on it by September.

Anytime I suspect something I ask. It is a way to cover my own butt and advertise if necessary. Sure, they might lie and deny and then do it anyway but most parents, if asked, are relieved it came up and will be honest with you. Then you can both plan accordingly and everyone can part ways on good grounds.

Euphoric !
    Why wonder and worry? That eats you alive. Have a conversation and good luck.

I have to ask you a question though Torontokids, can't help myself. You said you charge more than a daycare centre?
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Euphoric !
    Like most home daycare's my rates stay the same from infant to preschool. In centres once the ratio becomes 1:15 or whatever it is, their rates go down a bit. Their new toddler rate is usually comparable or a bit lower then home daycares. I charge $60 per day, some centres are $45 or so per day for a preschooler.

There are more toddler/preschooler spots available now that full time kindergarten is here, however infant spots in centres and elsewhere are harder to come by.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Thanks Torontokids, I figured it was because of your city. In our city HDCP's get paid a lot less than centres charge. I'm sure every city is different. But I also think that's why we have so many HDCP's in our city, because parents choose us instead of paying larger rates at the centres. That makes for a LOT of competition in every neighbourhood.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.