Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Shy
    But it also says that she was busted last year for having 7 kids which makes me think its a home daycare and not a centre..... I would pull my hair out with 27 kids lol.....

Quote Originally Posted by daycarewhisperer View Post
    I think the main message is that if you can't afford quality care then having children is not an option. Think and plan for this before having kids.
    I am not defending the provider in this situation, nor am I defending the parents. I am saying that not everyone has access to quality affordable child care. Not only do some not realize how much daycare can cost, many do not realize that in some geographical areas, you have to search for daycare a year before you plan on using it.

I hope you are kidding about not having children unless you are well off. In Toronto, home daycares charge $50 to $80 dollars a day. What does that mean for a mother who finds herself single? What if she has more than one child? Are you saying that only middle class and above should have children? I am an intelligent woman whose first child was unplanned. It's not ideal, but it happens. I could not afford daycare, and were it not for the generosity and kindness of family, I don't know how we would have made it that first year. On my current salary and only having one child, I would be paying more than half my earnings to daycare. Without subsidy, how would I feed myself and my child? How would I pay my electricity and rent? As it happens, I have three children, not one. It's really not as simple as, "if you can't afford quality child care, don't have kids". Really.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandbox Sally For This Useful Post:

The reports are saying that this was an unlicenced daycare, so I don't think it was set up for inspections. As Judy said, at this point, it sounds like it might be a food cross-contamination/allergy situation.

I did read in one article that they've been investigated by the government in the past, but I think it stemmed from a complaint?

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by daycarewhisperer View Post
    I think the main message is that if you can't afford quality care then having children is not an option. Think and plan for this before having kids.
    Did you seriously just say that? I'm well aware that this is my first post, but this board came up when I was googling for more news about this tragedy.

So really? What are the people who DIDN'T plan to get pregnant supposed to do? Starve to death trying to pay for care they can't afford. Subsidy lists are long and jobs can be scarce. Have you worked in this field long, because I pity the poor parents who come in contact with someone as judgmental as you. Do you make them sign paperwork that their children were planned before they can start with you? Because I am absolutely gobsmacked that you could even think that, let alone have the balls to post it on a message board.

Do you have any idea how many people you are offending? Do you even HAVE children? Or are you one of those people who knows that you'll be the perfect parent when you have children, even though you have NO IDEA what it's like to be there 24/7 for a little person.

I was kind of hoping that I'd found somewhere to hang around online when I found this board, but if people are going to let offensive, bigoted, prejudiced comments like this go without comment then this is obviously NOT the place for me.

You know (daycarewhisperer) I usually agree with you, but in this instance I don't. My child was not planned in the least...In fact I was on bc pills. When I got pregnant I had only been seeing my now husband for 3 months, I know you have at least one child because I have seen you post about him on Facebook. So I cannot believe you typed those words.

And guess what? We didn't have everything when he was born, but we tried our best...He went to a SAHM who charged $25.00/day, but she treated him kindly and he was happy there.

And even though we make over 100 K a year, would I be able to afford daycare now, no..sadly... (If I had to I would do something though I am sure---). And I have medical needs...Not because I don't love my kid, but because my husband is drowning in student debt that he had to accrue because his family didn't plan...yet they are very kind for the most part...

Would I change anything, not for the world, dealing with ds has made me more aware of the gaping holes in the system and the lack of support that exists when you are parenting and have a disability...(And I do not mean monetary)

Does the lack of "cash" make me a bad parent. no. Absolutely no.

I am shocked.
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 07-11-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Euphoric !
    I think our governments are to blame because the amount of money people get on social assistance is astronomical .... And the more kids they have the more money they get... And if they work well that gets deducted from their cheque so why even work and if you do decide to work well they pay for daycare as well and prescriptions and rent, utilities, .... the lust goes on and on ....so on .... I know some people who are raising third generation welfare kids and then they kick out the boyfriend because they realize that as a single mom they get even more money and free babysitting every other weekend so they can go out and party .... There seriously needs to be something done about our social assistance program ... Like maybe you only get a fee ride for a year then pay for the life you created.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

You have no idea how much I agree and can relate to this Crayola.... long before I had ds, I drew assistance for a bit, and they paid me more to stay home and do nothing, my rent was paid, my meds, my bus pass, my utility bills, my phone, and food and I got $1000.00 with that because I was a person who was disabled....

The social worker was surprised that I even wanted a job, but I pounded the pavement and worked as hard as I could, even if it meant 2 jobs, long hours and eating kd forever.... The social worker just couldn't fathom why I'd give "the comfort of the system up."

But here's the kicker I wanted to work....I hated the idea of someone paying for me...
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 07-11-2013 at 10:45 AM.

Starting to feel at home... jammiesandtea's Avatar
    Well, I have to agree with daycarewhisperer. It is not our Governments' job to subsidize the raising of our children, unplanned or planned.

Also, affording the cost of quality child care comes down to priorities, plain and simple. We all need to determine where the cost and quality of our child care ranks in our list of budget priorities. If it ranks lower than nice cars, iphones, designer clothes, vacations, etc... then it's not that you "can't afford" quality child care. It's that you choose not to, because you've prioritized other things above it.

Now excuse me while I go put on my armour and protective gear, because I realize I am likely about to get battered about by some of you, lol. It's ok, I can take it.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jammiesandtea For This Useful Post:

I agree with you to a point Jammies, not not all of us that had "oops babies" were driving a Lexus, playing with our i pads, and expecting help from the system..Heck when I was pregnant I shopped at sally ann, had a black and white tv, and took the bus.. And I didn't start demanding help from the system either.....We did the best with what we had...
    Last edited by dodge__driver11; 07-11-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Euphoric !
    At the same time quality care means lots of different things to different people. A nice old lady who cuddles and plays with your child and charges just enough money to pay for the child's food and a treat for herself can still be quality care. It is all about the parents taking the time to find the right person. Paying more doesn't mean getting better care.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast