Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Outgoing

Equipment write-offs

Could a laptop and a small dirt devil type vacuum be written off as a business expense? These were both mainly purchased for business purposes but are obviously used for non-business as well.

Euphoric !
    What you do is write off a portion of the cost. When you look on the tax form these items would go on the capital expense worksheet and you put in the full amount and then determine how much is business and how much is daycare. At least use a 50-50 split but in the case of the vacuum if you would use it once a week if it was your own family but use it daily because of the daycare then you are writing off more like 75% or more. If you have another vacuum you use for your house but bought a smaller one to keep in the daycare that you can pull out quickly (I had a little upright for this) then that would be 100% daycare because it is used because of the daycare and your other one is for the family. For the laptop they don't take as kindly to those writeoffs in some kinds of business since you can operate your business without it as compared to my felt business for instance that relies on internet orders. So taking a percentage such as 50-50 is more justifiable but make it 60-40 if it helps with the taxable income.

Starting to feel at home...
    I have a similar question about how strollers fit in here. I purchased a runabout this year and wonder what is write-offable.
    ~ Mama to 4, Dayhome provider ~

Euphoric !
    A runaboaut would be considered 100% daycare since you don't have 5 infants of your own. As in if you ended daycare you would have no possible use for the item and do not use the item outside of daycare hours. That is the criteria for determining percentage. Before you get too excited though remember that the amount you can claim this year will be based on 50% of the purchase price in the first year but the full amount in the other years so you will eventually be claiming the whole thing.

Euphoric !
    I have a similar question, but in regards to used items bought. If I buy something I find on Kijiji, for example, can I claim it even though I don't have a reciept?

Euphoric !
    Yes you can. If possible write a receipt yourself on a piece of paper with a date, price, name of item and where you bought it and ideally get the person to sign it when you pick the item up. If they won't sign still just keep the piece. I am assuming if it is off kijiji or something like that that you had to email the person so if you have an email that details location and price, print that out as your receipt - all you need is something that proves you bought it and how much you paid. You could also right click on the ad from kijiji and copy and paste it to a word document and that would show price. But the email idea is the best.

For those just starting out you can do a similar thing with things you have for your own kids that you are no longer using such as a playpen or highchair. You basically sell it to your daycare as if you were selling it at a garage sale and a daycare provider bought it. Try to pretend you are two people doing the transaction. Scout garage sale ads to get an idea of the going rate (usually 30-50% of the original price depending on age and condition of the item).

Outgoing
    Same here, kangaroomama, I bought all my double strollers, and about 90% of my toys from kijiji or yard sales. I read once that a simple reciept book from the dollarstore would be sufficient for the cra. And just have the yard sale owner, or kijiji seller sign their name, print name, and address on it.
    I unfortunately, do not have any reciepts for my used supplies, but will remember next time I buy something for daycare, (nap mats, any more toys etc)

Euphoric !
    I have never been audited, but through the experiences of my friends and family I have learned that it is not a good idea to write off anything you do not have some form of paperwork for!!
    In theory, yes you could write it off. You do not have to submit the receipts with your taxes, we just keep them in our own records. However, should you ever be scrutinized, CRA does NOT take kindly to this.
    So, what the girls above said is true.... just make sure you have something!
    Last edited by mom-in-alberta; 07-29-2011 at 12:38 PM.

Outgoing
    Good to know, thanks playfelt. Sounds like you've done this a few times
    Do you normally do your own taxes?

Euphoric !
    I have always done my own taxes. Been in daycare for 25 years. Once you get the hang of keeping the receipts it is just a case of adding them up. It sounds a lot more complicated then it is and years ago it was actually worse as we had to separate out everything. Now we tend to separate out stuff just for our own info and then when we go to do our taxes, the form lumps it all together under supplies (food, household stuff like paper towels, cleaners, craft supplies, toys) which is basically everything we buy for our daycare except our office supplies - paper, pens, laminating.