Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Daily Routines, etc...

Hey guys,

So I just opened my home daycare last month. I currently have 2 dck's (12 months and 24 months). The 12 month old still has a morning nap for about 40 mins usually, but I wake her after an hour if she hasn't woken up on her own. I have a downstairs play room and the nap room is in our spare bedroom all the way upstairs. Right now it's easy for me to carry both kids upstairs, and put the 12 month old down for her nap. In September, 2 more daycare kids will be joining us, one of them being 11 months old also and will require a morning nap as well.
    So I guess my question is; What should I do with the older ones when putting the little ones down for their morning nap? Is it best to bring all of the children upstairs with me? or to leave them in the play room downstairs for a few mins while I run up and put the little ones down? The play room downstairs is completely baby/child proof with bookshelves and toy storage shelves bolted to the wall and gate at the bottom of the stairs, etc... I really don't ever want the children out of my sight, but was just wondering what others do in this situation.
    Thanks

I would say that as long as the room is completely childproof and you have child gates preventing any access up from the playroom then you should be fine to just leave them there. You will be gone for all of a minute or two and if it makes you feel reassured at first, you could place them in highchairs to be sure they don't get up to no good but I don't really think it would be necessary unless you have a child who you are already having behavioural issues with who is likely to cause trouble when you are out of sight.

Most parents wouldn't have a room as child safe as a daycare setting and would be making dinner answering the phone, doing laundry and what happens when they need to visit the washroom? How do you manage to go to the bathroom? I think if you set your expectations of behaviour right from the start, they will quickly learn what is acceptable behaviour and if you are gone for a moment or two they will not bat an eye lid knowing what is expected of them. If they have the skills already to play independently versus being constantly entertained, then the chances are they would be far to busy having fun to even notice you were gone for that short time.

Outgoing
    I have the same situation with my kiddos. They are all toddlers and ALL need to be carried up to the bedrooms for their naps. I do it one by one and leave the others in my completely childproofed, gated playroom. Each of my kiddos is trained to go right to sleep so I am only a minute literally each time I put one in their playpen.
    I have also on occasion, done naps immediately after our walk to the park. I keep the others buckled in their stroller/wagon and run into the house with one at a time to put them in their beds.
    I know its not the greatest situation but unfortunately, there is only one of US. Parents would be doing the same thing if they had multiple children of their own.

Euphoric !
    The large play yards can be set up and used like a giant playpen when you are going to be gone but I agree that my playroom is set up just for the little ones so it more or less is as safe as in a playpen and only gone the length of time it takes to dump a child in bed or go pee or get a drink or whatever. Make sure gates are securely closed as you leave.

If your room is set up for all ages then you will need to section of part of the room for just the little ones so that you can leave knowing they can`t access the markers or tiny lego or game pieces.

If they are all going down for a nap then bring them all up - even the 12 month old can be taught to crawl up the stairs with you following behind. Then they would be closer on the main level while you ran each one up the stairs to bed.