Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Tips for a smoother transition post vacation?

I am taking my first time off since opening in Feb. I'll be off the first 2 weeks of August. I was wondering if there is anything I can do now to help make the kids adjust easier once they come back and have been off of routine for 2 wks? I can ask parents of course to keep them on their schedule and those that do it I am sure their children will have an easier time. Other tips/ideas?

Euphoric !
    Unfortunately that is the downside to time off. Not always as refreshing as we would like because the first two weeks back totally undoes it.

Having said that plan nothing for the first couple weeks back. Serve simple favourite foods. Play up the fact they children have been away and now we are all back together and isn't this great. Some group activities helps get everyone back into the groove and helps you to control the flow of the day.

Try to introduce some new things such as fresh playdough and new cookie cutters or a new game to play.

Not a lot you can do now and parents will do what they want. But start planning now for what you are going to do when you come back so you can do it before you go on holiday and not have to do it while you are on holidays.

Euphoric !
    My holidays start at the end if next week and I am soooo looking forward to it ... I have asked the parents to start talking about daycare during the second week ....incorporate it in conversations .... Mention my name as well as the other kids names ....such as if they are at the beach say .... Building a sand castle Is fun I wonder if xxxxx is building a castle.... We are having spaghetti for dinner cause I know how much you like Having spaghetti at crayolas house.... What do you want to wear on your first day back at crayolas? ....why do you color a picture for crayola to put on her fridge. Ect..... And then just expect the first week to be a nightmare

Euphoric !
    I take a week in the spring, one in the summer, one or two in the fall and I have never had a problem, even though my group changes. They come back eager to get into their routines again. My trick is that we go to the library every Monday morning for story time and playing with their toys,then home for lunch and nap. They expect that trip on the first day back after the weekend. Every afternoon at snacktime I talk to them about what we are going to do tomorrow. They always know what to expect, a craft day or a travelling day and they come in excited every morning. It works great for me.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.