Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Euphoric !

Things that have made your day run smoother?

I have a few things that I do that makes my day run smoother but I want more ideas!

I colour code cloths for kids e.g. bobby has blue wash cloths
    I keep a bin outside with spare diapers, wipes, kleenex, sunscreen so we don't have to go in
    Keep a spare potty on my back porch for outside use
    The kids arrive sun-screened up and ready to go

I am sure I could share a ton more but this is what comes to mind as the life savers so far.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    all diapers have the childs inital on it
    my littles have certain plates and my older children have a different kind of plates
    I have sunscreen by the door and a box of kleenex too

Outgoing
    Great idea with the extra potty and necessities outside! I'm definitely going to work one of those up this weekend!

I'm going on a "staycation" for the next two weeks so I'm planning on doing some re-vamping and changing up things that don't work so well over here... I'm going to keep an eye on this thread!

I have a little bin that I fill with everything to go outside (bug/sun lotion, cell and house phone, waters for everyone) and Kleenex and our garbage bin just inside the door as well.

A bin for outdoors is a great idea. I end up grabbing everything piece by piece. I can't believe I didn't think about keeping it all in a bin.

I have cloth bags on every hook in my entryway. We keep hats and changes of clothing for each child in these. The parents check to see if their kid's bag has extra, and whether they need to bring some for the next day.

I purchase all the wipes. I figured after a while that it was easier for me to suck up the $8 bucks a month than to have four or five separate wipes boxes on the go. I also have a wicker basket in my living room where I line up diapers for each child side by side at the beginning of the week. The bin also has a thing of wipes and the change pads tucked in it.

Starting to feel at home...
    Every kid is assigned a buddy. One bigger/one littler. Every time we transition from one activity to another, each buddy is responsible for helping their buddy out with whatever is necessary. Helps promote positive social relationships as well as being considerate of others and being part of a team.

I also could not live with out my kitchen timer. It gets set for EVERY activity. ALL the kids know there is NO changing activities or moving on until the timer goes off. Helps them stay on task, make wise choices and keeps the continuous cycle of those kids with attention spans of gnats easily managed.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KellyP For This Useful Post:

I use a 2 tier metal shoe rack from Costco for my diapers and creams. I keep this right beside the change mat which is on the floor and on top of a small thick rug for extra comfort and padding for my knees. The top rack fits 5 diapers wide, which I keep in alphabetical order and the bottom is for diaper cream and wipes. Even though the parents supply the wipes, I use one container at a time. When someone's pack of diapers is running low, they must provide the wipes with the replacement diapers. Having 5 open containers would drive me nuts LOL.

Starting to feel at home... jammiesandtea's Avatar
    These are some really good ideas! Great thread, torontokids!

Euphoric !
    Doing as much as you can the day before such as washing and chopping veggies that you will cook the next day while the kids are eating lunch. That way there is less evening or naptime prep time needed.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I also have been getting my families to do EMTs and biweekly payments as well which has made things easier
    Circle time mats
    I have special books (sticker, dry erase) that only come out during meal prep. Keeps them busy and at the table those last few mins before a meal
    I started serving a lot of the same stuff. I think I felt there needed to be more variety at first but the kids are happy and the parents don't care.
    As kids get ready to go outside or I have done their shoes they all know (even the babies) how to get their hats and go and sit on the mat showing they are ready to go outside.
    I have a "park bag" that I throw their sippy cups in and it always has a small first aid kit, emergency numbers and of course my sunglasses.

Euphoric !
    I tell my parents regularly how much I appreciate them! As a result, I have great parents, open communication and they are very respectful of me and my business. They also share how happy they are with me which males my job that little bit easier.