Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Really?!?!?!?!

Starting to feel at home...

Really?!?!?!?!

I had a lady call me at 6:15 am (I just had my only early starter arrive I thought her mom forgot to tell me something) and ask me about my rates. She told me I was too expensive said thank you and hung up. I was just barely awake and was dumbstruck.

She "accidentally" called me again at 1:30ish and hung up so I called her back. She apologized for calling me again and then told me she was the lady that called this morning about daycare. I decided to ask her if she is looking for care as I have a summer position open she said yes and would I be willing to reduce my rate as she has 2 kids and doesn't like them to eat food not from their home I said I would reduce by $5 per kid but that was it. She said I was still too expensive, so I asked her how much she is paying now and she didn't want to tell me but I pushed (I knew nothing would ever come out of this phone call job wise!).

GET THIS!!!!! SHE PAYS $20 A DAY FOR 2 KIDS!!!!!!

I laughed at her and said that was unbelievable and good luck, good bye and hung up.
    I want to know who her provider is and how she is maintaining a home and putting food on the table for her own family or is this another case of 25 kids in the house!

I regularly go through the postings and make sure I am not out of the ball park on rates and so far I have always been on par with the average.

What?! $10 a day/per child? Must have been a warehouse daycare. That is so sad.

Euphoric !
    I recently had a mom contact me about care (by email) saying she could only afford $20 per day for two kids as well. I laughed out loud when I read the email. Then I took the time to send her a nice email explaining to her that I can't even afford to charge that low for one child let alone two and that she might be better off trying to find a high school student for the summer or something along that line. Where do these people find caregivers willing to charge so little? That wouldn't even cover costs...it would be like volunteering...no thanks!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    I recently had a mom contact me about care (by email) saying she could only afford $20 per day for two kids as well. I laughed out loud when I read the email. Then I took the time to send her a nice email explaining to her that I can't even afford to charge that low for one child let alone two and that she might be better off trying to find a high school student for the summer or something along that line. Where do these people find caregivers willing to charge so little? That wouldn't even cover costs...it would be like volunteering...no thanks!!!
    I think you responded in the best way Sunnydays. Very professional and respectful. It's one thing to think someone must be high to think such rediculous things, but it is much better to be honest and certious at the same time in our responses.

Sunnydays I am wondering if this might be the same mom?

Why is she looking for new daycare then if she is getting by so cheaply now?

In my opinion, she is either going to get quality of cheap. She can't have both.

Outgoing
    I'm wondering too, why is she looking for care if she has it cheap already. Does she want better care, well that comes with a price.

Expansive...
    Yeah, I think she's lying about how much she's paying now in an attempt to get you to match that rate....no thanks!!!

Euphoric !
    Robyn, I live in Ottawa and you in Brampton, so I highly doubt it is the same mom! I get that some people can't afford, but then she should be eligible for subsidized spaces. Doesn't make sense to me.

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    Robyn, I live in Ottawa and you in Brampton, so I highly doubt it is the same mom! I get that some people can't afford, but then she should be eligible for subsidized spaces. Doesn't make sense to me.
    HAHA!! Def not the same mom!

When I told my husband about the 6 am call he said she probably had an argument with her current provider and was likely looking to jump ship.
    Most likely she is lying but I don't think she has any idea what she is really looking for quality wise. It is so sad that people will put their kids in a super cheap place that leaves the quality and safety behind!