Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Were any of you required to do this to belong to a childcare referral registry?

I had stated on another thread how when I started my daycare business 7 years ago that I, to be able to belong to our county daycare registry, had home inspections done from the health/safety and fire dept (I had to pay a fee to the fire dept. for their inspection). Had to obtain a police check for husband and myself, CSA had to submit verification that they have never had to deal with any issues regarding my daughter and I had to prove I had my first aid/cpr (infant/toddler) certificate which of course had to be current.

Later I found out that the health department was no longer going to check home daycares with this registry due to budget cuts and the fire dept. was no longer required to do home inspections.

I had no problems doing this and had to wait several months waiting for these inspections before I could open. It just made common sense as in my naivety, I thought everyone had to do this instead of just hanging a daycare shingle on your door . So has anyone else ever had to do this and if so, does it still continue in your area.

both my two agencies do a safety check every tree months. No health and safe or "hot" firemen come over to inspect.

I did have to:
    ~ do cpr training
    ~ elect training
    ~ everyone who lives in my home had to provide their immunization records
    ~ everyone 12 yrs and older living in the house need to get a T-B shoot and a few others shots if they didn't already have them.
    ~ everyone 12yrs and older needed an note form their dr. stating that they were physically and mentality ok
    ~ everyone 12 yrs and older need a police check and cas check done.

I think that's was everything.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Yeah, he was hot. Interesting about the vaccinations. Health/safety didn't mention this at all. I do require my dck's to be up to date with their immunizations and I find the 12yrs of age to need a dr. note and a police check interesting, hadn't heard of that before. Thanks for the info.

A lot has just been put into place this year. I cost us money to get yhe tb shots and dr notes and police checks. The agancies paid for yhr cpr, elect training and cas check.
    I live beside a fire station and we visit the hot firemen a lot. :-). The kids love going over and sitting in the trucks.

Starting to feel at home... jammiesandtea's Avatar
    Many years ago when I first started doing daycare, I went through an agency. I did have to have the fire dept come and inspect my home, and I had to have a police check done, and update my first aid/cpr. The agency also did inspections of my home, at the beginning and then also randomly (I think it was monthly) during the period of time I was with them.

I have no problem with any of these requirements, and if they were to set up a similar system for licensing independently (rather than through an agency), I would happily comply. I would of course hope that the requirements for each category would be reasonable and applicable to home daycare though. I remember being frustrated with the agency regarding the rules for not only cleaners and dangerous substances being locked up, but also things like shampoo and soap being expected to be kept out of the bath tub area, even though that bathroom was not accessible to the children, and I was even willing to put a little hook-and-eye latch on the door to ensure they couldn't get in (which wasn't "enough"). Not that the children were ever wandering around unsupervised on my upstairs level anyway.

So, some basic requirements and accountability would be totally fine... as long as common sense is used when they set the rules.

Starting to feel at home...
    i used to live in the same area as you, so yes at one time i was "registered" but it is no longer offered.

Outgoing
    yes when I went thru an agency many years ago.

but last year or the year before I had the fire chief stop by and do an inspection thru my house. Totally out of the blue. I showed him how prepared we were and he said I was over prepared lol! he just wanted to mark on his notes that if there was a fire that there were children in my house.

Yes, giraffe. We could call ourselves "registered providers" which meant we did the work to provide a safe and healthy daycare. It was not an agency.

I agree Jammies, if there was a system for licensed or registered providers I would happily have my daycare inspected. As careful as I am, I know I can do something's better. I just hope if the day comes, then it will be an intelligent set of guidelines for us to follow and comply with. I don't suffer fools well and would be peeved if we had to put up with nonsense like you described. I have hook and eye latches on my laundry room and nap room door. I have never had a "break in" and believe me they have tried. Funny, healthy and safety inspector recommended I install them back then.