Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    I nursed all 4 of my children and I will go the extra mile for bf babies because I believe it's important and the best nutrition. I've had frozen pumped breast milk come in little bags as well as liquid in a little container and I feed it to the babies in bottles or sippies no problem, whatever is best for the baby. Some bf babies won't drink out of bottles at all, my youngest was one of those! MamaW2, you hit the nail on the head about bf babies being rocked and nursed to sleep - that's the problem.

I've had bf babies take up to 2 months to settle down at naptimes so I feel your pain there. But I also think that we need to bond with new babies in our care. Put yourself in the position of that baby, scared out of your mind, where are you, who are these people, where are your parents, what the heck is going on? Screaming babies make us absolutely crazy and the other children in the daycare suffer too. So stress that to the dcparents. If they want their child to fit into your daycare they will be doing their utmost to help their baby adjust to daycare life. If they aren't doing anything to help you settle in the baby to daycare life you are in for a long, difficult road with this one. Best of luck.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Shy
    Thank you all for your advice and words of wisdom. It is so nice to know that there are other people going through, or that have gone through the same issues I'm having. I have been very honest with the parents and told them that if they keep lying with her at home and driving her around in the car to get her to sleep (they told me that's the only way they get her to sleep), that she is not going to adjust well. I told them that I am worried about her health and well being as she is already an underweight little girl and she is only taking 2 oz of liquid throughout the entire day. She also does not know how to take a drink from her own sippy cup. I'm trying to teach her by leaving it on her tray while the others are using theirs in hopes she gets it. I still have to help her though, or she won't get any liquid throughout the day. I told them that I let her CIO and they know that. I told them that it is really stressful on her little body and any help they can provide from home would only be helpful towards her.

She is also afraid of the grass. I spend a lot of time out in my backyard and at the park with the kids. We have a mini pool, sprinkler, slide, sandbox, playhouse and so many toys. Every time I put her down on the grass, she screams, puts her feet up and falls backwards. Her mother told me that she doesn't like the grass and they don't put her in it because of it. I told her that she was just going to have to get used to it because I can't and won't carry her around and we are going to be spending a lot of time outdoors.

I really hope that the parents take me seriously, and help this little girl adjust into my care. I know if she does, she'll have a great time. My other one cries when her parents come to pick her up because she doesn't want to go!

I have decided to give it another two weeks. I know she won't have transitioned completely by then as she is a special case but I should see some improvement. If I don't, I'm going to look for someone else to fill the spot and advise the parents that I think they should maybe look into getting a nanny. They are looking for special care and I can't provide what they are looking for with 3 other children to care for. My own daughter is still only 10 months old!

Again, thank you for letting me ask questions and rant. I love having you all here to bounce questions off of. I hope you are having a great summer so far.

Euphoric !
    One more thing though, I've never had a child start with me who was 10-12 months old who wasn't already eating table food, chopped really small, they are always off the puree by then. Once they start eating table food they fill up faster and have more nutrition, can you have that talk with the parents?

I have a little boy who is 1 year old and he's afraid of bloody EVERYTHING! I've been slowly getting him to toughen up and encouraging his parents not to buy into his fears. Of course if they go reaching for him with oh, oh, it's okay, poor baby (yeesh!) he's never going to get over fears, even if they are legitimate because he's learning to control his parents whether he's really afraid or not. So it's important to break babies of this habit quickly. Ask the parents not to buy into the tricks. Babies are smart little cookies. They know what they are doing.
    Last edited by Momof4; 07-17-2013 at 11:46 AM.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Shy
    I did tell them during the interview that I would not be able to feed her purees all the time as I am cooking, chopping, cleaning, and getting bottles ready to give little ones when they finish they're lunch(they can feed themselves their bottles). I told them that I would try to introduce her here to table food and she would likely go for it as the others will be eating it. I asked them if they could start it at home as well. I was able to get her to take some yogurt with Kiwi pieces in it today. She only spit out one of the kiwi pieces
    She is smart through...she sits in there crying for an hr and a half and not one tear...ever!

Shy
    Update: Little one has been asleep for an hour and a half now

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama W2 For This Useful Post: