Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Heat wave!

Heat wave!

Hey everyone,

Here in Ontario there's a stage 3 heat wave going on and I am running out of places to go inside with the kids. What type of activities would you do with a very mixed age group. 3Years,2years and 1 year old. I am running out of steam with keeping them busy inside.

Outgoing
    I agree! I cannot push 100 pounds in a quad stroller these days, so,we have been cooped up in the house (no air-conditioning) all week.... I am melting. The kids are doing relatively well, I must say. But I am just done...

Euphoric !
    Time to teach the children to "play" it sounds like. There is no reason why they shouldn't be able to entertain themselves with what you have available.

To add variety add something to what they show interest in to expand the play such as some new dress up clothes or accessories for the farm or garage centres.

Do more group activities such as baking - but make popsicles to have for afternoon snack or jello for lunch tomorrow - nothing you actually have to turn the oven on for.

Get the rowdies out by turning on music for dancing but add some scarves (wash clothes will work instead if need be).

If you are without air conditioning and only have three you could put them in bathing suits and into the bathtub with a couple inches of water and play for a bit. Make use of fans if you have them to keep the air moving in the playroom. Read stories, colour, get out puzzles and other quiet games to save them from overheating. Staying home and finding ways to keep cool and calm will be better than trying to go out somewhere as the getting there and the getting home defeats the benefits of being there.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I have been staying inside as well. They have been getting more free play, songs, dance and stories than normal. This morning's big activity was water play inside my house. Put down some towels and a kids mat that I have and two large containers of water. Cups, blocks etc...they had a blast! This afternoon is finger painting and puppet show! Good luck!

Euphoric !
    I have 2 a/c's running and wouldn't be without them for a million $!!! I HATE the heat and especially this humid weather. It's insane right now though, extra stupid hot.

Zoey, I have a 3 year old, a 2 year old & two 1 year olds in care and we went outside Monday morning but haven't been out since. So I had a beach party day today with crafts, songs, games, pretending the toyroom was a swimming pool and we took turns spraying each other with a mister bottle of water. They all wore swimsuits (not me!), we had a picnic lunch on a blanket in the toyroom. Great fun.

Yesterday we made puppets and talked about safety & 911, tomorrow we will continue with my safety theme talking about strangers. It's turning into a very long week and I sure hope the weather is a bit cooler next week because we are not used to staying inside, we're usually at the park 3 days/ week and the library one day/week. We're all feeling the pain. But I don't have a nice shady yard like some, so I'm suffering.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Outgoing
    We have been going out at specific times of day. I have arrivals from 6:45-7:30 then brekkie at 7:30 so from 8-8:30 we go out and after morning nap around 9:45 we head to the park for half an hour and home to play in the backyard until about 11. I am lucky to have a large, shady backyard however even today with all the shade the air quality was SO bad we came in right at 11 and stayed inside ALL DAY. Lots of playing with toys I don't usually bring out such as the ball pit, foam blocks, tent and tunnel and puzzles. Luckily we had a longer nap too this afternoon! This heat is exhausting!

Expansive...
    How about changing the playroom around? I turned mine completely around and the kids are exploring old toys all over again!

Dress up and music is always really fun at my place. How about making funny dance hats or wigs and just be super silly.

Here's a cool idea: http://pinterest.com/pin/88031367687357031/

http://redtri.com/simple-and-fun-hat-crafts/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Skysue For This Useful Post:

I think Playfelt hit the nail on the head with the "teaching them to play" It's great to have organized activities that are adult lead but they need to develop the ability to entertain themselves through play. They shouldn't need to be entertained, just given the tools and allowed to go with it.

Right now I have my "Summer Vacation" dramatic play bin out. It is basically an old suitcase full of everything you would take on vacation. Old passports, sunglasses, empty sun lotion bottles, beach towels, shorts and tshirts and an array of sunhats. They dress up, pack, unpack, lay the towels out and sunbathe, pretend to lotion up etc etc. They play independently and before it comes out of the cupboard we talk about how hot it is outside and how we will bring the summers day indoors. They are super excited and I sit back and chuckle to myself as I watch them have a fun old time. They don't seem to have missed being outside as I have a big play space and have the centre of the room completely clear for gross motor activities. Music is on constantly so if it looks like any of them are getting a little board, I crank it up give them ribbons and we all dance around the room.

Yesterday we did some baking so I had to crank the a/c up a bit but it was worth it.

Euphoric !
    I couldn't agree more that children should be able to play together and entertain themselves with the toys, puzzles and activities that are set out for them. I entertain at circle time and in between I may set out different things for them like a magnet game or musical instruments that get put away again after a couple of hours for the sake of my aching brain, different puzzles and games, but they should be able to entertain themselves.

I've had a few children in care who are constantly asking me questions and want my attention nonstop, that's a special challenge, but those are few and far between thank goodness. I also make suggestions for their play to stimulate their imaginations or get them started dancing or exercising now and then. But I'm very proud that I teach them at a very young age that they can ALWAYS be OCCUPIED!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Expansive...
    I'm with Playfelt....my kids are playing inside no problem!! It's ME that is dying here, ha ha! Getting out for walks and playing in the yard keeps me from going crazy!!!

I have 4 under 18 months plus my own 13 month old and 3 year old. They could play and amuse themselves all day, no problem!

I did the same as Skysue...totally rearranged the playroom and the kids thought everything was brand new!!!!!