Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Zumba anyone?

Zumba anyone?

Even though having a daycare keeps us on the go, I feel the need to get some exercise that does not involve lifting babies and running after rogue toddlers.

Do any of you have an outside fitness regiment? I don't think I am one for a fitness club, however I have been eyeing Zumba classes as they look like it could be fun and even though I'm not a great dancer, I do like the idea of exercise to a beat that seems like dance.

Has anyone tried this? Did you lose weight?

I appreciate any suggestions. My bathing suit seems to be cringing at the back of it's drawer anticipating the struggle to fit everything inside of it. LOL

Shy
    I love zumba! I use to do it once a week and abosultely loved it! The key though is finding an excellent zumba instructor. I use to belong to Goodlife Fitness and they had a really good instructor and then she left. The one that replaced her was horrible, so I stopped going. I would suggest to try out a few different ones before you commit to a particular one. They also have beginner classes and ones that are a little more advanced. I preferred the more advanced one because I have a background in dance. I do miss zumba, and you have officially inspired me to maybe go back to it! It's definetly a great workout because it's fun and the best part is that you don't feel like a workout!

~Dance like no one is watching~

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Miss Amanda For This Useful Post:

Shy
    correction... "The best part is that IT dosen't feel like a workout!" lol

Outgoing
    I love love love Zumba!!! I have been going twice a week for the most part of the last two years. I did lose about 20 lbs in the beginning because i was trying to lose the rest ofthe baby weight. It is my stress relief for sure. I would go nuts if I didn't go to Zumba regularly. I totally recommend it. Most instructors will let you try a class for free or on a pay as you go system. It is so much fun!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyPrincess For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I bought the Zumba workout for my Wii! I love it and it is definitely a work out but I am not coordinated enough to do it "correctly".... LOL!!

I take the tutorials that break down each step individually and then goes faster as you catch on but I don't ever seem to catch on....

But I figure as long as I am moving, I am burning calories so maybe one day it will just "click" and I will get it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KellyP For This Useful Post:

I'm the same way kellyP, it takes a while for the co-ordination and doing the correct steps to kick in, however, you are right, the point is to keep moving and keeping up with the beat.

I am not as disciplined as you to work out at home because I always see something else that needs doing (or that book that needs reading LOL) so a out of the house setting will work better for me.

Euphoric !
    I have a stepper from the days when that was the in thing and a video that goes with it and I could barely master the warm up section before I was so confused I would just give up and let the daycare kids jump on and off it while video played out and I kept hoping if I watched it enough I would get it. I would give the kids towels on the carpet to stand on and do the exercises with me while I used the actual stepper. This was a morning ritual .....for a very short while till I got too discouraged.

Since you brought up the topic of "older" exercise props playfelt, I once received FOR CHRISTMAS a Suzanne Somers thigh master. My mother thought it was a great idea. At the time I was 5'7 and 120lbs. What was she thinking? I still remind her every Christmas when I open her gift and she asks if I like it. I just say it's not a thigh master, but I like it anyway" LOL

Euphoric !
    I was looking in the scholastic catalogue at some yoga for kids CD's that come with an instruction booklet and thinking that is where I need to start whether the kids can do it or not - or maybe I can learn from them. Baby steps as they say to fitness and this is a good place to start I think. I have an elliptical trainer in the basement I never use or if I do it is in 2 minute segments to a total of 5-6 minutes while they have freeplay before I have to intervene or get something etc.

Outgoing
    I do Zumba 3x a week at the gym. Its fantastic. I agree that its only as good as the instructor though. The good ones make it great fun, the boring ones it actually feels like a work out. I also have zumba for the xbox (not as much fun as the classes at the gym but a good start if your worried about it). I had no coordination or rhythm when I began. I've lost 90 pounds (not just from zumba but it certainly has helped). My daughter and I have just been asked to start teaching the classes at the gym too