Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Crying Baby - Refuses to Eat

A new DK started with me on Monday, wow, when the parents brought in two bottle of formula, in my mind I say oh no! This 12 month old boy does not eat at all, I even asked the parents last night to bring me what they are having for dinner so I figures he should eat what he ate last night, of course he didn't, they brought rice, ground beef and carrots all mixes together. He refuses for me to feed him. He has been screaming now since Noon. I am tired and drained, I wanted some good advise.

Euphoric !
    It might just be because he is still adjusting. Give him some time to adjust being there and then he will likely start eating. I had a 2 year old start with me recently who screamed through every meal for a few weeks, but eventually she stopped and started eating.

If I give him a bottle than he won't eat, I even put his formula in a sippy cup. Usually, parents don't bring me formula. He not even drinking homo milk yet. I feel that he only wants formula.

Euphoric !
    Unfortunately until the parents are willing to let their child grow up it is hard to do it at daycare. Since he is new if the bottles keep him happy then go with that. Over time he will start eating some of what the other kids are having. Try small bits off a spoon each day - a magic bullet will let you puree up lunch or your last night's dinner quickly. The more he takes the more he will take. Alternately start with applesauce or yogurt - will be fine if he is on formula - as it is already ready to eat so not wasteful and just do a dab at a time.

It is also common for a child not to eat for parents and want to cuddle and have a bottle but will give in and eat for you at daycare because the other kids are and because the cuddle to feed bond has not been established so nothing to change. You and the child will form your own relationship around food. We are talking weeks here not days so be patient.

Thanks Playfelt, it is out of the norm to bring formula to daycare. I have 3 more children in my care and had them since they were 12 months, they never brought me formula.

Euphoric !
    Some doctors ask parents to switch to formula before moving to cow's milk as the formula is easier to digest so if mom breastfed right up to going back to work or continues to breastfeed morning and night having formula would be the expectation for awhile. Besides if mom provides no issues as it saves you money. Some also switch to the new toddler formula's until their child is eating enough real foods too because of the added nutrients.

Is too much rich milk preventing eating real food - probably. I would probably get some infant cereal and start giving the child that to teach them to eat. In other words you may have to be the one that transitions the child from formula to foods going through all of the stages with cereal first and then adding some fruits and veggies, then meats etc.

apples and bananas
    I have had clients do formula for the first few weeks. Usually because they aren't quite a year due to mom taking mat leave earlier then baby came.

I would chalk the eating issues up to a new environment. If I were you, I would keep with your schedule. If the baby learns what to expect from you next it will be more comforting.

I find the first 3 weeks with a 12 month old are the hardest. It's a huge change. I once read an article that said that baby's are best to transition between 6 and 12 months. Once they hit a year they get difficult. The start with the attachment issues.

As for today... if he's just taking formula then let him have what he will take. I always win with some cheerios! Then they tend to continue to the good stuff from here.

Lots of smiles from you and calming words, calming sounds. If you need a break, put him in a safe spot and take a small break.

The first few weeks are the worst. I hate transitioning in new kids.

Shy
    How is he the rest of the time? Happy? Adjusting?
    I wouldn't stress too much about the formula as a source of nutrition just yet. Maybe offer soft finger foods and his bottle at mealtime and see if he eats anything if he can feed himself.
    I have had some kids start with bottles and others not, they all eventually learn to eat thank goodness!

Euphoric !
    I've had children start with me and won't take a bottle or won't eat anything or drink from a sippy and by the end of the day I was panicked. But the more it happens the more I realize it's a part of the whole adjustment to daycare for some really panicked little children. I realized that the calmer I remain and the less stressed I become the better for the children. I agree with all the rest of the advice the others gave you already.

Before a child starts at my daycare I stress to them that consistency is important for the child's sake and ability to adjust to us. I ask them to get their child onto our meal and naptime schedules. I want to know exactly how the child eats at home and will stick to the parent's ways, whether it's bottles, sippies, pureed food or table food, but I'll definitely encourage things to change as quickly as possible so the child is eating the same thing as the rest of the children and using sippies for ease of transport when we go out.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.