Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    apples and bananas

Toilet trained? Maybe not!

My daycare girl who is 2.5 has been in underwear for about 2 months now. She was doing very well with few accidents. She would prompt me every time and give me no problems when I asked her to go. She pee's everytime she sits down on the toilet.

I currently have her 2 days a week. (moms on mat leave)

She is in underwear full time at home (naps and bed are still pull ups)

For the last 2 weeks she has been having trouble. She has had frequent accidents. Mostly when we're playing outside. Accidents will happen literally within 10 minutes of her emptying a full bladder. Today it was number 1 and number 2, practically at the same time. (outside again... thank goodness! ) She tells me when she's had an accident but I truly don't think she knows until she feels wet. I've watched her stop dead in her tracks, look down and say "uh oh"

So, I'm looking for feedback from all of you. What would you do at this point? Would you ask mom to put her back in pull ups? I would think this would be confusing for her as she's in underwear at home all the time and has been in underwear here for months successfully. I don't want to send her backwards.

On a side note, I approved the switch to underwear. She showed all of the signs and was successfully dry. She picked up the toilet training very quickly.

Looking to hear what you would do...

My policy is 3 weeks accident free at daycare to start using pull ups. If they have accidents after they started using underwear they go back to pull ups and again they need to stay 3 weeks accidents free... My son was dry when sleeping and he was using underwear when we went for vacation. Since he had to sleep in the same bed than us I was not taking the risk of getting wet if he pee in the bed. So I put under pull ups on. He did not pee in the bed. When we were back home he used underwear again for sleeping. No accidents either, because he was fully potty trained. If this girl is not fully potty trained she will have accidents not matter what (using under ware or pull ups). The only difference is the mess you may have to clean.
    Last edited by Artsand crafts; 07-22-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Euphoric !
    Until a child can stay dry at least 2 hours or is independent totally in the bathroom I always used a pullup for outside play too since there is no access to the bathroom at the park, on a walk, etc.

Euphoric !
    If her being with you part time now is a new thing I'm sure it can be confusing or she can forget to ask you to go potty (different caregivers, different expectations). Who knows, with mom being home with her she may get more reminders etc just due to the fact that mom only has the 2 of them. It sounds like she is too busy having fun and is forgetting to go.

I disagree that kids that are trained won't pee in pull-ups. My daughter is 100% trained and has been for over a yr now. If she has ever been placed in a pull up (really long car rides "just in case") she will choose to pee in it out of laziness and won't even ask to go to the potty (she still wears them at nap/night). I actually found pull ups super confusing for her when we started training as she would just go pee in them and treat them like a diaper. She doesn't wear them for long car rides anymore and tells us she has to pee and we pull over.

Outgoing
    do you think there might be a medical issue? my daughter has had a few bladder infections and at 5 yo has peed her pants unintentionally because she didn't realize she was going. I would also rule out any issues going on at home that could prompt this. I am reluctant to put kids back in diapers or pull ups after they make a lot of success toilet training, but if it continues and you cant find a reason I would

apples and bananas
    monkeymama, that's a good point.

I've had her 4 days since she's been away on vacation for 2 weeks and this is when the problem started. Mom said everything was ok at home... however... this morning mom made a point of reminding dcg to tell me when she had to go and focused on no poops in her pants. I didn't question it, but maybe she's been slipping at home.

I'll have to check with mom at pick up.

I guess it's all about finding a happy in between support and sanitizing everything on a daily basis.