Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Daycare fam saw me smoking. How can I reassure them I don't smoke around kids?

Alright so I'm an occaisional evening smoker. Like once every couple of weeks after a drink with the hubs I'll have a cigarette. My daycare fams know my husband smokes (outside only, never around where kids play) but they assumed I was a non smoker. Anyways my one fam lives nearby and mom saw me out smoking tonight. oooops. I know I need to reassure them that I'm not lighting up around the kids (I would NEVER) but I'm not sure what to say. I don't want to make it into a huge big thing but I want them to be able to trust me. damage control!!

Euphoric !
    If you say something, then make light of it and tell the truth with a sentence or two, just as you did here. I wouldn't worry. If you were out for dinner and a daycare family saw you drinking a glass of wine would you be worried that they think you drink around the kids? You know? Your life is private after hours. Relax and have a good weekend.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Shy
    I wouldn't even mention it. If she asks, explain, otherwise, I would just forget it and enjoy your weekend!

I wouldn't mention it either. She will probably do the sniff test the next time she brings her child to daycare and remembers that she hasn't smelled smoke in your home. If she mentions it, tell her what you stated here and emphasis the "in the evening" part. If she asks if you have ever smoked during daycare hours, in a friendly manner, look her in the eye, and tell her never. She may just need to be reassured....if she asks at all.

Euphoric !
    I'm with the don't mention it side. First what you do on your own time is just that. Many workplaces have a no smoking on the job policy and those people are free to smoke on the way home from work or once home if they want to. This was after hours. It isn't like she caught you standing on the porch smoking while the kids were playing or even in the backyard standing at the side corner of the house smoking while the kids played. It was your own time.

The fact they are ok with your hubby smoking outside away from the children means they are ok with smoking in general and that helps. If anything is said then a quick explanation that occasionally you have a smoke with a drink while alone with hubby and then change the subject.

I am a smoker too, and if a daycare parent saw me smoking, I wouldn't say a thing. It's none of their business, frankly. If they ask me a question, I'd answer truthfully, but I don't think I need to justify my off hours behaviour to anyone.

apples and bananas
    I had my kids in a daycare where the provider smoked. I knew she smoked outside and it didn't bother me at all to see her smoking. And I'm not a smoker.

I wouldn't worry about it. If they bring it up then assure then, but if they don't say anything assume they really don't care.