Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Food poisoning question

This is not daycare related but I am freaking out and not sure where else to ask. I tried health link and the local hospital - neither of which were much help at all. My daughter spent the day with a friend and apparently got chicken strips from Dairy Queen for lunch. She didn't eat them until after they'd been sitting in a hot car for 5 or 6 hours while the kids were visiting an amusement park - obviously not a good idea. That was about 6 hours ago. She has no symptoms yet - how soon would food poisoning symptoms show up and what are the chances she won't end up getting sick?? Anyone have experience with food poisoning?

What if you try calling Telehealth. Here is their link:
    http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi.../tele_faq.aspx

Expansive...
    I have had food poisoning and it took 12 hours for me but that was due to eating rare steak. I was in France and trusted that it was supposed to be cooked that way. I wouldn't worry too much since it was already cooked. She will more than likely just have the runs. I would worry more if it was uncooked chicken that sat out that long.

Let us know how shes doing!
    Last edited by Skysue; 07-20-2013 at 10:05 AM.

Expansive...
    Another note to add would be the constant temperature of the car, its like sitting in a warmer. Bacteria levels grow fastest at uneven temperatures.

http://www.betterhealth.vic.gov.au/b...safety_storage

Euphoric !
    In a child I would thing 12 - 24 hours would be the normal time frame for symptoms. At the same time with such a busy day you can expect her to be tired etc today anyways and throwing up from getting too much sun and getting over tired is not unheard of either - I have an adult daughter that to this day needs to keep the balance of both in check.

In the grand scheme of things even though there is a best practice for food handling many foods are eaten after sitting out more than the recommended 2 hours. One thing in her favour is that the car would have been so hot that it would be like the food was still in the oven and a lot of bacteria doesn't start to form till the foods cool down to room temperature - hence the two hour warning. The heat of the car might actually have prevented food poisoning although a reminder to never do it again is for sure in order.

Expansive...
    it depends on the bacteria (or bug) causing the symptoms. some take 4-6 hours some take a day or so.
    the rule of the thumb is to keep hot food hot and cold food cold- depending on how hot the car was it may be fine

Thanks for all the info, ladies! It's been 24 hours and so far no sign of food poisoning. I'm really hoping it stays that way!

Euphoric !
    Omigosh GymMom what happened tonight?

My two oldest grandsons both got their first jobs at McD's so I suppose I could ask them the max that a chicken product can be under a heat lamp if necessary!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

She seems fine - phew! She started a week-long gymnastics camp yesterday morning. When I dropped her off she said her throat and tummy felt "funny". I wasn't sure if it was related to the chicken or just separation anxiety/nerves. She sounded much better on the phone last night so it looks like we dodged a bullet!! I don't think she'll make that mistake again!