Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Question about ages of children

I'm from Ontario and currently doing some planning to open my own home daycare in January, 2014.
    I have no children of my own, so I can accept 5 children under the age of 10.
    The DNA does not specify anything pertaining to certain ages I'm allowed to have.

Am I allowed to accept 5 1-year olds as an example?

Yes. I am in Ontario. What region are you in if you don't mind my asking? I'm just thinking of suggesting some provider groups you may be interested in joining.

Quote Originally Posted by mimi View Post
    Yes. I am in Ontario. What region are you in if you don't mind my asking? I'm just thinking of suggesting some provider groups you may be interested in joining.
    I'm allowed several 1 year olds? That's good to know. I got confused by some telling me I'm allowed 1 under 1, 2 under 2 years etc..,

Anyway, thank you Mimi. I don't have a license to drive....so I can't take the kids anywhere.

If you join an agency who will find clients for you (not a popular choice among providers) and that is where you are restricted as to how many you can have in each age group. Again up to 5 children.
    I would rather have my whole crew under 2. While the younger ones are more work physically, the older ones are more work mentally LOL.
    If you have little experience in the daycare field, I would recommend you take some time filling your spaces so you can become comfortable in your routine and see what works for you.
    The provider groups I am referring to are support/social groups for providers. They will have first aid classes, pot luck dinners and regular get to gether's. They do have group outings for those interested and you can also advertise your daycare on their website. There is usually a small yearly fee which you can write off.

Quote Originally Posted by mimi View Post
    If you join an agency who will find clients for you (not a popular choice among providers) and that is where you are restricted as to how many you can have in each age group. Again up to 5 children.
    I would rather have my whole crew under 2. While the younger ones are more work physically, the older ones are more work mentally LOL.
    If you have little experience in the daycare field, I would recommend you take some time filling your spaces so you can become comfortable in your routine and see what works for you.
    The provider groups I am referring to are support/social groups for providers. They will have first aid classes, pot luck dinners and regular get to gether's. They do have group outings for those interested and you can also advertise your daycare on their website. There is usually a small yearly fee which you can write off.
    Thanks again, Mimi. Will keep that in mind.

This site looks great - I'm glad I stumbled onto it.

In Ontario you can have maximum 5 kids under 10 yo. You can have any age mix you want unless you are working with an agency. If you are with an agency then you have to follow the rule of 2 under 2 yo and 3 under 3yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Artsand crafts View Post
    In Ontario you can have maximum 5 kids under 10 yo. You can have any age mix you want unless you are working with an agency. If you are with an agency then you have to follow the rule of 2 under 2 yo and 3 under 3yo.
    Thank you. I'd prefer to be on my own. Somehow, working with an agency doesn't feel like it's your own business anymore.

I'm glad to know that I can have the ages I prefer as long as I don't go over five.