Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

3 new additions to our family

My son, daughter in law and grand-daughter are moving in with us on Friday. My grand-daughter is 15 month old, I will be taking care of her while my son and daugher in law attend school. I do not plan on counting her as my numbers. Do you think this will be an issue.

Outgoing
    I think it would not be allowed. I don't think you can count her as "one of your own" as you are not her sole beneficiary, her full-time guardian and such.
    I am not 100% but I think that legally she is not YOUR daughter so therefore will count as a 'daycare child'.
    Just my opinion.

apples and bananas
    This is where that rule is completely ridiculous! The child will be using your house as a residence. What if you had custody of her... A piece of paper changes your ability to care for her along with 5 others?

I think that if you feel you can handle it safely and your parents are all aware and on board I see no issue.

Euphoric !
    I would think the issue might be with insurance. I'd look into it to see what the rules are if I were in your shoes. While no doubt you can handle that number, it may be outside the legal limit of 5. This, in turn, will negate your insurance which is a pretty gigantic problem if something happens to any of the kids in your care when over ratio. I would think it might behoove you to look into it further. My inclination is that your grandchild would have to count in your numbers....but I've been wrong before

Euphoric !
    Relatives count in your numbers even if they are living in your house because you do not have custody of them. I have even heard issues when it is step children on alternate weeks so for sure I would be putting in a call to insurance but more importantly to the ministry asking for clarification. Make sure they know she will be living under your roof but really that doesn't change the relationship.

On the insurance side of things your son should have the equivalent of renters insurance on his belongings and liability for his own family as should anything happen the items won't be covered by your home insurance potentially. Again based on a horror story from friends renting out a basement apartment to students.

Outgoing
    I am a grandma who opened my daycare to be able to watch my grandchildren. They do count as part of my maximum of 5, which is somewhat frustrating because my older granddaughter will go to JK in the fall, and I have to leave an entire full-time spot open for her even though she will only come on PA days and school holidays. My grandchildren don't pay, so I can only have 3 paid children.

Euphoric !
    As unfair as the rule is, unfortunately she would count in your numbers. I have my 8 year old nephew visiting for a month right now and I know that he counts in my numbers if I take him out with the daycare or if his mom leaves him with me to go out. I have been fortunate that I have one daycare child away for an entire month, so it hasn't been an issue. I would think this could be an issue for your insurance or if someone decides to report you. I go out with 7 children because two are my own, but I am secure in the knowledge that if anyone reports me, I will be able to prove that 2 are mine and the rest are daycare children. Unless you legally adopt your gandaughter, you will not have the same assurance.

Expansive...
    I wouldn't count her in your numbers and seriously just have her as your own. Seriously people calm down a little! For heavens sake a Mother with 4 or 5 children don't need to count them in there numbers? She is your granddaughter, I see the word daughter. I would just let all the parents be aware to cover all your basis.

Good luck with the new living situation! What an amazing lady you are to open your home and your heart for you family!

Euphoric !
    While I completely agree that she should not have to count her in her numbers and that the rules are not fair...the rule is the rule and you can be fined or sent to jail for being over-ratio...not to mention if something should happen and your insurance won't cover you because you were technically over-ratio. If she chooses to do this, she has to know it is not without risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Skysue View Post
    I wouldn't count her in your numbers and seriously just have her as your own. Seriously people calm down a little! For heavens sake a Mother with 4 or 5 children don't need to count them in there numbers? She is your granddaughter, I see the word daughter. I would just let all the parents be aware to cover all your basis.

Good luck with the new living situation! What an amazing lady you are to open your home and your heart for you family!

Euphoric !
    I'm sorry, but I had my grandson in my daycare and he definitely counted in my 5 daycare children. There's no way I would take a chance any other way, not when the fine is $2000/day for every day you have one extra child in care. And then there is the insurance question as well.

Don't believe us, call the Ministry and your insurance company and check into this issue, Pink.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.