Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Giving Notice and Vacation Timing

Hi All,

I have to give a family notice of termination and am giving them 20 business days notice. The family will be on vacation for 7 of those business days....is it any concern of mine that they will be on vaction during during my notice period? ie: do I need to give them 21 days notice so that it's an even 14 days? or does the vacation period not apply to the 14 days? My contract ONLY states that I am required to give 2 weeks notice...it does not say anything pertaining to it falling during a families vacation time. Thanks!

My contract states the same, 2 weeks (10 business days notice) so you giving them 20 business days is more than ample even if they are on vacation. Just give them notice before they go on holiday. Make sure they are paid up before you do.

Who cares about THEIR vaca seriously... you give the notice and from now on the countdown begins !!

apples and bananas
    I think your notice is sufficient. Just make sure you're paid up first! You don't want them bolting on you.

I don't think it's fair to give them notice the day before they leave for their vacation. If that's the case I'd wait until they return and give them the full 2 weeks.

I guess it depends on why you're terminating.

Euphoric !
    I see where you are questioning as in 20 days - 7 = 13 days notice compared to the 14 your contract states.

I would give notice a day or two before they leave on vacation so there is time to adjust to the prospect before leaving. Doubt they are going anywhere there isn't internet access so they can start looking and making appointments for when they get back.

Euphoric !
    Well, it works both ways. I had a family give notice the night before my vacation and since I didn't have any computer access I didn't know for 11 days about that notice until I was about to go back to work. Big surprise. It happens to us all the time but we want to keep a good reputation in the business so we worry about being super fair to our clients.

Logically, I think you can give the 20 business days notice as per your contract and you are fulfilling your obligation according to your contract. You are open and it's business as usual for you. It isn't your fault that a family's vacation falls during that time.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.