Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Euphoric !

Frequent toilet trips

I have a 3.5 year old dcg who will sadly be leaving me in 2 weeks to start at the daycare centre at her school that she will be attending as of September. I am concerned because, although she has been toilet trained for a year, she needs to go to the bathroom quite often. For example, I ask her to go before we leave to go to the park...then we get to the park and she has to go pee at some point while we are there (this is generally an hour after she has gone at home) and sometimes she has to poop as well as pee (fun times) and then she will tell me she needs to poop again when we get home. This is normal for her it seems. I am concerned for her when she starts school because I am not sure how/if the teacher will be able to accommodate such frequent bathroom trips (sometimes she poops and then comes out and then 5-10 minutes later needs to poop again). Would you be concerned? Will this be an issue at school? If so, is there anything I can do or advice I can give her mom on this???

Euphoric !
    I would just suggest the parents communicate this with the teacher so she/he knows that she is not just trying to go to the bathroom to get out of doing something undesirable.

Euphoric !
    Most kindergarten classrooms have the bathrooms right in the classroom. But I agree the parents need to have it written down on all of the forms that frequent visits often 10 mintues apart at times is normal and child should always be allowed to go if she feels she needs to.

And for sure make sure child knows how to change out of wet/soiled clothing and clean herself up as teachers are not allowed to do it. And then send lots of changes of clothes.

apples and bananas
    I bet she'll completely change before school starts. I had a 3.5 year old that did that for about a week then back to normal schedules.

If I were you I would just make sure she gives one last push on the toilet. Give her a book and make sure she gets to the end. Maybe a timer... maybe a song she can sing and she's not done on the toilet until the song is done. It sounds like she's not getting it all out on the first go. She may just need to be reminded to slow down.

There are bathrooms in almost all kindergarten class rooms. The kids just go as they need to. At my kids school they were encouraged to not even ask, they were just to go when they felt it.

She'll be fine.

Euphoric !
    Thanks everyone! I feel better...I think I am more worried to seeher go off to school than I was with my own kids!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    Thanks everyone! I feel better...I think I am more worried to seeher go off to school than I was with my own kids!
    Have felt that with the last two I sent off to school. In both cases I did not feel they were ready and started to doubt myself as in did I do enough to get them ready or was it "my fault". Nothing like giving yourself a guilt trip because a child can't draw a triangle, use scissors correctly, count past 7 despite three years of trying to teach them. Gotta remember the other 20 kids over the years that did go off to school ready.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: