Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Adults swearing in townhouse common area

I live in a townhouse complex. My backyard is just a small concrete patio so I have my kids playing in the green space my patio backs on to. Anyways I recently got some new neighbours and they are something else Today I had my kids playing out there and they were sitting under a tree in lawn chairs smoking, and every other word was f**k or g*ddamn! They were also working on a truck and every day for the past week they've been running the truck in the parking lot (that backs onto our green area) letting out tons of exhaust and loudly revving the engine. It is driving me crazy! I didn't say anything but I'm thinking I should if they are out there again tomorrow swearing!

Euphoric !
    Rude neighbours are the worst. If you try to reason with people like this it usually backfires and they take it as a challenge to be even more obnoxious. Is it possible for you to take the children to a park instead?

I had this type of neighbour in the past since I live in an apartment and I never said anything to them because they were truly unbalanced. Then I had a guy across the hall from me that smoked so badly with a lot of other people that I went through proper channels and finally ended up calling the police and the Health Unit who enforced no smoking in the hallway, so he called CAS on me, peed in my garden and who knows what else that I didn't notice!

Here we are working really hard to make a living and it's disgusting and disruptive to have this kind of neighbour around. I feel your pain. But I hope I've helped you think about how to proceed. Luck to you. By the way, my bad neighbours are all gone and I'm still here working hard!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

we have a park a 10 minute walk away and I take the kids there a lot. we also go for nature walks on the trail nearby. BUT my toddlers are on a mission to kill themselves at the park and it's so hard to keep an eye on everyone, it is so much nicer to be out in my own little space! I had no problems at all until these people moved in. hopefully they will find somewhere else to be tomorrow. we love to be playing outside and are usually out there for several hours every day.

Outgoing
    If you are in a rental townhouse I would make th elandlord aware of the issue. He may be able to deal with it on your behalf. If you own the townhouse it becomes difficult to deal with depending on the mentality of the people. If you and your hubby went over in the evening and just very nicely explained that you have a daycare and that you dont want to stop them from using the area but that would they please be more mindful of their language when you are out with the kids. The smoking may be a more sensitive subject but you could always ask. If this is a public area, are they disposing of their butts appropriately or just tossing them in the grass? that would be a concern as well if you have little ones. Not sure how the the public areas of a townhouse complex works but if there is a property manager of something of the sort that could help out with regards to the smoking. tough spot to be in but best to be as sweet as possible first. good luck

Expansive...
    How about taking out a cd player point it in there direction and blast some good kid tunes. Like Silly songs or Raffie that will act as a safe white noise to drown them out!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysue View Post
    How about taking out a cd player point it in there direction and blast some good kid tunes. Like Silly songs or Raffie that will act as a safe white noise to drown them out!
    You mean when she has the dckids outside or just all the time? Because I know that would drive me crazy if neighbours were doing that in the evening!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.