Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Closing Daycare & Terminating

I have been open less than 6 months, and would like to shut my doors in the fall. Daycare isn't a great fit for me or my family it turns out after all. I feel quite guilty (and slightly embarrassed) but I just tell myself that I've done the best that I can and have realized my limits.

I only have ONE child part-time. While his parents are lovely and very supportive of working together, he has been incredibly challenging (food issues, constant crying, clingy, doen't socialize well, etc). I have been so stressed out and frustrated all these months caring for him. My decision to close my doors was solidified by the fact that I've noticed he's affecting my children's happiness. My daughter tells people "we do daycare and all (child) does is cry"

His schedule is changing too which is another factor. His parents didn't mention it at the interview. I don't, and probably won't in the long term, be able to accommodate it.

A friend passed along a job posting in my field so I went for an interview. I got an email today letting me know I got the job. It will essentially replace the income from doing daycare.

I have questions related to terminating.

(1) Do I give the parents a letter cold turkey, email, or do I call them to let them know what is happening? I will of course be giving them an official termination letter but just wondering how this is best handled.

(2) Do I give them reasons?
    I know I'm not required to professionally. I struggle with this because they are such a nice family and will be disappointed (probably upset and maybe a little angry?) because they have really made it known to me how much they appreciate the care I give their son. Do I tell them I find their son challenging and have realized he's not a good fit long term? Do I tell them the change in schedule won't work? Do I just say I found a job in my field and leave it at that? Or, do I mention all the reasons?

Thanks for reading, and I would appreciate any advice you may have to offer

Euphoric !
    I would just tell them you are closing your daycare as an opportunity presented itself in your field. The issues you have had with their child may have been because you and s/he were a bad match or that there were no other children to play with or even the fact they were part time. I wouldn't mention this aspect myself as it's not important in the bigger picture as to why you are closing.

Good luck

3. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

mop

Euphoric !
    Oh, in answer to your other question, I would tell them in person at pick up and hand them the termination letter. I think doing it in person is better.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

mop

Well done, welcome to my circle

I have just given notice of closing last Monday. I was in the same boat as you and decided to terminate my biz after almost 2 years. I had more children and more parents which although all great parents... well most of them... had trouble here and there, confrontations and thats the MAIN reason I'm out. I have a lot of moral issues also on how parents bring up their children (mostly no discipline) and it drives me nuts. On top of that I have MANY more reasons, no matter its done now and I have three weeks left

First, BIG CONGRATS ON YOUR JOB ! HURRAY !!! Second, as I have been told : the importance is YOUR and your family's happiness that matters.

To answer your questions :

1) After having the same parents for such a long time, I could not face them to tell them the news. I wrote a very nice letter explaining why I couldnt tell them face to face and how much I love the children and will miss them but this decision is for my well being first and for most. At the end of the letter I asked for their understanding and kindness. I sent it by email on Sunday night. I got zero calls and zero respond, so I was very nervous to face them on Monday morning, but to my luck, EVERYONE was very nice about it and so now we go on. To be nicer I check out spots available in other daycares nearby to make sure they had options.

2) I did not give a specific reason in my letter. Again its none of their biz. But most had concerns about me and they asked if I was okay and I went on explaining how this biz is nice but I need benefits, insurance and a pension plan and how in the last year things have been difficult financially and dealing with the daycare. I might of given more detail then I had too, but they were nice and agreed with my decision.

There thats my story Best of luck and enjoy life !!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DisneyPrincess For This Useful Post:

mop

Shy
    Oh sorry I should have clarified that my own two children have been here to play with him. He wasn't alone with me all day

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by DisneyPrincess View Post
    Well done, welcome to my circle

I have just given notice of closing last Monday. I was in the same boat as you and decided to terminate my biz after almost 2 years. I had more children and more parents which although all great parents... well most of them... had trouble here and there, confrontations and thats the MAIN reason I'm out. I have a lot of moral issues also on how parents bring up their children (mostly no discipline) and it drives me nuts. On top of that I have MANY more reasons, no matter its done now and I have three weeks left

First, BIG CONGRATS ON YOUR JOB ! HURRAY !!! Second, as I have been told : the importance is YOUR and your family's happiness that matters.

To answer your questions :

1) After having the same parents for such a long time, I could not face them to tell them the news. I wrote a very nice letter explaining why I couldnt tell them face to face and how much I love the children and will miss them but this decision is for my well being first and for most. At the end of the letter I asked for their understanding and kindness. I sent it by email on Sunday night. I got zero calls and zero respond, so I was very nervous to face them on Monday morning, but to my luck, EVERYONE was very nice about it and so now we go on. To be nicer I check out spots available in other daycares nearby to make sure they had options.

2) I did not give a specific reason in my letter. Again its none of their biz. But most had concerns about me and they asked if I was okay and I went on explaining how this biz is nice but I need benefits, insurance and a pension plan and how in the last year things have been difficult financially and dealing with the daycare. I might of given more detail then I had too, but they were nice and agreed with my decision.

There thats my story Best of luck and enjoy life !!

Thank you very much! It was nice to read this.