Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    I definitely agree that if the provider practices a certain religion that the children may come into contact with in the home, she should tell the parents before they sign on. Some parents are easy going about this and others are not. I know a provider who ahs crucifixes on her walls and a family did not sign on with her because of that...actually they ended up signing on with me...LOL. To each his own right?

Expansive...
    I am Jewish- and I had no objection to my kids being exposed to other faiths. We can all learn from others. I did ask that they include our holidays as well. I offered to supply things and help put something together--- but come one who doesn't love potato pancakes and chocolate (latkes and gelt)

Starting to feel at home... jammiesandtea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    I am Jewish- and I had no objection to my kids being exposed to other faiths. We can all learn from others. I did ask that they include our holidays as well. I offered to supply things and help put something together--- but come one who doesn't love potato pancakes and chocolate (latkes and gelt)

So true, mamaof4! I was previously in a relationship with a guy who is Jewish, and your customs and some of the food are just as awesome as the Christian ones! I sure do LOVE me some latkes!

I agree that religion shouldn't matter in daycare and that different customs can be learned about and celebrated in terms of holidays. I think that unless you identify yourself as having a specifically religious daycare, and therefore cater to families of that religion, then other than holiday celebration, religion shouldn't really be taught or focused on with little ones anyway. That is up to their parents.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jammiesandtea For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by jammiesandtea View Post
    So true, mamaof4! I was previously in a relationship with a guy who is Jewish, and your customs and some of the food are just as awesome as the Christian ones! I sure do LOVE me some latkes!

I agree that religion shouldn't matter in daycare and that different customs can be learned about and celebrated in terms of holidays. I think that unless you identify yourself as having a specifically religious daycare, and therefore cater to families of that religion, then other than holiday celebration, religion shouldn't really be taught or focused on with little ones anyway. That is up to their parents.
    I completely agree with jammies and I would definitely do this for any religion to include their holidays and traditions in my daycare. However, I leave the deities out of daycare. We celebrate all the holidays from the child's point of view, just for fun, but not the religious aspects of them. I leave that for the parents because I do not want to influence the children with my beliefs, that's a very personal thing for every family to deal with at home.

I know a caregiver who includes religious lessons, praying, etc. in her daily activities, so she advertises her daycare as Christian and the parents who find that important choose her for that reason. It's important to them.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Starting to feel at home...
    I don't ask parents what religion they are and I don't tell them what religion I am....even if they ask.

It's none of their/my business.

I don't celebrate any holidays in my child care so it isn't an issue.

I am not against celebrations and/or holiday traditions....I just don't do them in daycare.

We don't celebrate birthdays in daycare either.

Again, it isn't because I personally don't celebrate those things, because I do, it's just that I find religion, celebrations, traditions, cultural observances, and birthdays to be personal and have nothing to do with child care or the services I provide.

My daycare has no religious talk or practices, so I have no need or desire to know which, if any, religion my families practice.

If a family has special dietary considerations or requires certain days off for religious reasons, I have no issue accommodating these, as long as I know in advance, and it doesn't interfere with my standard of care. I feel that it is up to the individual family to inform me of these things, not up to me to ask.

Edited to add: I do Christmas and Easter crafts. I ask in advance. My own family has no religion, and these holidays have become a matter of our North American culture as opposed to the religious roots from whence they arrived.

Starting to feel at home...
    I don't ask about religion and I state on my website and in person we celebrate all Christian holidays. I have had one family tell me they are very religious and another dcb ask me why we don't pray before lunch. I don't feel it is my job to have a whole lot to do with their religious upbringing.