Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

About religion....

Do you ask what religion they practice?

Euphoric !
    No! Why would I need to ask this??? I don't care what religion, if any, families follow. I don't bring religion into my daycare, so I am not too worried about offending anyone. At the same time, I repect religious and cultural differences and am open to them telling me if it is important to them that I know or if there are any food or other restrictions for the child because of their religious beliefs. I feel it is up to the parents to come forward and tell me this in the interview if there are any restrictions....othe rwise, I have no need to know about religious beliefs.

No, its non of my business. If there are any food restrictions do to religion then its the parents responsibility to inform me during the interview. I am not religious so I feel I don't have the right to bring/teach religion in my daycare.

Euphoric !
    I just have one section on my child information sheet that says additional information you wish to share. When we go through the forms I indicate that that is where they can tell me anything that is not covered on other parts of the forms that they would like me to know.

Often the information comes out in the section on previous group experience where some will list church nursery. I do not do interviews Sunday mornings due to church so me giving them that info if we are setting up an appointment sometimes starts a conversation where they ask which church or say which church they go to if they do. I also mention in the interview how I handle holiday celebrations and it often comes out at that time with parents giving their beliefs on how they want them handled - especially Christmas/Halloween/Easter. It used to be one of those things I brought up when my kids were younger because I needed parents to know that I had some religious story books and at any time my kids might have left them in the playroom or have posted the picture they coloured in sunday school on the fridge, etc. I have a nativity scene they can play with at Christmas but I don't talk about it - I just call it our Christmas toy and it gets the same significance as the Santa's workshop toys.

Euphoric !
    No, I would never ask the religion of the family. I do however ask them if it's alright for their child to celebrate birthdays and all the holidays such as Christmas and Easter. If I accepted a family into care that didn't want their child to participate in all of these holidays we would have to figure out a way to explain it to their child because I decorate my whole house for everything, even St. Patrick's Day. That's part of my program. But it's noticeable on my website with all the pictures so I'm sure parents would cross me off their list if they don't celebrate these days.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

no, I wouldn't ask. I agree that if there are restrictions it is the parents' responsibility to bring it up. Any parent interviewing me would know I am Christian because of my crucifixes!

apples and bananas
    I never ask what their religion is, however, I do make them aware of mine and let them know that their child may have interaction with certain movies that are in my house and that my children love to watch and they may have conversations about religious related topics with my kids.

No one has had an issue with it yet.

Their religion doesn't effect me, but mine might effect them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Same with sunnydays. While I don't outright tell them what we practice, I state on my forms that we will be celebrating Christmas, Easter, and birthdays, among other holidays. If a parent did have an issue with this, it's their responsibility to bring it up. Same goes for diet, and I have a specific section on my forms that asks if there are any foods the child can't have due to religious practice.

Other than that (and holidays) it doesn't really impact me, so I don't feel the need to ask.

Starting to feel at home...
    I'm feel the same as apples and bananas. We are a Christian Family and we pray before meals. I have no objections to other faiths in my daycare but I ask that clients teach their children that we need to respectful of each other and what other families believe in (this goes both ways in my house). So I will take any client, but I do want them to know ahead of time of what we practice. Your children are entering my house and joining my family. They do not need to pray with us, but just be respectful. I have had no problems with this yet and if the families don't like it- that's ok. They can find care somewhere else.

Euphoric !
    I actually had prayers with our breakfast and supper ie when we were eating as a family but did not do anything at lunchtime and my kids were totally ok with that and it was never an issue. Other option is to do something very generic which I did do when I had a family ask me about grace expecting it to be done we simply looked at the plate of food I had placed in front of them and said "For what we are about to eat may we be thankful." Kind of put a grin on my face each time they said it especially when I knew a child that didn't really like what was in front of them was saying it too. Not a bad thing to adopt religious or not.