Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Terminated care but they keep begging for another chance?

Hi,

I have a family that has been with me since May and in that time frame they have paid me only 2 times on time? The 1st week they were with me they had a 3rd party contact person pick up there child on Friday. No payment was made, I emailed them the next morning and they said they would drop it off within the hour. I didn't receive payment until 5 pm via interact transfer?

I mentioned that payment needs to be on Friday's and if they require a different payment schedule then I'm open for communication. The next week they paid me on time. Then they proceeded to forget again, once again I had to remind them.

Well they paid one more time on time and since then it has been a game of chase.

2 weeks ago I sent an email asking for payment and they asked if I could make an exception and allow them to pay me 2 weeks in the rears.

I sent a long email explaining how generous I had already been and that due to the fact that they aren't paying on time I would only allow them to do this one more time. If they don't pay after then I would be forced to terminate.

Well here goes they pay me for the 2 weeks the following Friday. The next week 3 party (grandma) picks up child on Thursday night and there a no show for Friday. I then not only don't get paid but don't even hear back from them until Tuesday am.
    I receive an email with pictures of there child with a severe allergic reaction. They tell me there child fell ill on Sat morning and that they have been in the hospital ever since.

I felt really bad and kind if like a jerk for thinking that they were in the wrong. Then it hits me there child fell ill Saturday morning. Payment was supposed to be Friday, there child was a no show and no contact until Tuesday morning. They sent the email from there phone saying that they were still in the hospital? Why couldn't they then text me sooner or send payment on Friday.

I sent an email terminating care and they begged me to take them back. They say they will pre pay care. So I feel bad and say that they still have an outstanding fee for the previous week and I will give them one last chance.

Then I wait for the transfer, nothing all Tues night, then Wed morning comes still nothing. So I send text saying that they had there chance to show how serious they were and they blew it. So I officially terminate care.

They send an email stating that they didn't get home till 10pm and we're too exhausted to send it that night and that they already sent it in the am? Blaaaa,Blaaaa,Blaaaa .

I said cancel the transfer and I already filled the space.

They keep emailing me asking me to reconsider for next week, which is my vacation by the way.

I just can't get them to leave next alone.

I have gone to infinity and beyond and can't give anymore!
    Last edited by Skysue; 07-28-2013 at 03:54 PM.

Starting to feel at home...
    After reading your thread, I have to say you have done the right thing. We work so hard, my parents pay be 2 weeks ahead of time. I would imagine, if I had the same family, payment would be an issue no matter how you would set it up. Good luck to you, I hope you find a new dc child very soon.

Outgoing
    Sounds like they really love you... Too had they couldn't have shown it while they had the chance.

It sounds like you've gone above and beyond what can be asked of you... I think the best thing to do is to go your separate ways. It's only a matter of time before they get behind on payments again.

Euphoric !
    I have a dcMom having financial problems right now too and I'm so nervous that they will make their payments on time so my budget runs smoothly. So I know how you feel, your heart goes out to the clients but you have to remind yourself it's business and we deserve to be paid for our hard work. It tears you apart but we have to pay our bills.

So yes, I agree that you did the right thing, it had to be done and you have to move on to a reliable, respectful family.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

apples and bananas
    I had a client that I terminated for lates. The first was a text... " husband is going to be a little late tonight " How late? " maybe an hour" ... ummm no. I have plans, sorry I can't take care of your children past 5:30. Then no one showed up until 6:30 anyways. 1st warning.

2nd - 15 minutes late... no warning.

3rd - text saying a third party was picking up by 3:30. No one showed. 5:30 rolled around and still no one so I sent a text. Mom showed up within 5 min. Said she was home and didn't realize the kids were still at care. She thought they were in the basement with the third part. WHAT? You didn't realize your kids weren't home?

I waited for the email transfer that night (which I typically had to remind them of Saturday morning) and sent an email terminating.

They reacted horribly. Wanted their stuff out on the porch to pick up. Sent me a nasty email.

When back to school rolled around (this was beginning of the summer) I got a text "are you sure you can't care for "johnny" anymore? I'll pre pay and we can arrange a 5pm pick up , no later" Ummm... sorry. I'm full.

It's amazing how people can treat you horribly then ask for a second chance.

You did the right thing. Chasing people for money is really stressful.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I keep going back to the original post on this one and there are some things that stand out. I get that the family had had payment issues in the past. And I get that hey send grandma to pick up on days they don't want to pay the childcare fees owing to buy them some time.

The whole hospital incident is another matter entirely. It sounds like that is being taken as the last straw but at the same time what they say may also be true. Child was a no show on the Friday but could have been sick - yes they should have called - newbie mistake on their part. The allergic reaction could have started earlier but was obvious by Sat that it was more severe than thought and child was taken to the hospital. No mention on the cause - food, playing in the grass, etc. so that should have been discussed.

If child was still in the hospital come Tuesday this is more than a minor allergic reaction so between time, stress, etc. I would be tired by nightfall too. Phones have to be off at the hospital so they are not checking messages all day. I have had money transfers for my felt business take over 6 hours to show up in my account so you can't discount their claim to have sent the money Wed morning.

Having dealt with two daycare children being hospitalized this winter and both were emergencies which was really scary considering they seemed fine with just a little hint of coming down with a cold on Thursday and by Sat both were in hospital in oxygen tents with breathing treatments every 2 hours. I didn't get the info till late Sunday night on either child and only one called on Friday to say child was staying home sick - other one was already at the hospital by Friday morning it seems to me like there was sort of comedy of errors of sorts as they say and a lot of wrongs were committed but there could very well have been mitigating circumstances.

Are you sure you really want to burn this bridge and start looking for another family? There are times when everyone can learn from mistakes and deserve another chance. But you are in the driver's seat here and can make whatever payment rules you want. For sure at minimum is being paid well in advance. It almost sounds you like you are paid Friday in arrears meaning at the end of providing a week of care instead of in advance of the week. With in advance then no pay no stay and the family would have to go to the ATM on Monday morning and come back with cash if they wanted daycare Monday or any day that week. The onus is on them and you are out nothing.

I do get that terminating and moving on feels like the right thing to do. I guess I am just reading between the lines and seeing things from both sides over and above that payment was not made on payday.

You were right to terminate. If anyone in any other job were not being paid they would leave that job. Why should providers be any different.

NO PAY - NO STAY! Period. Done.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I do get that terminating and moving on feels like the right thing to do. I guess I am just reading between the lines and seeing things from both sides over and above that payment was not made on payday.[/QUOTE]

Playfelt they told me that he was fine all day Friday and that he woke up that way Sat morning. This is what upset me the most.

I also have clients that have had emergencies with there children and I always got a text. Hospitals have free zones or you can go outside for minute if need be.

One of my clients even works at the hospital and has always contacted me even when her DD had a head injury.

I offered different payment options to them and they didn't want to explore that option until it all hit the fan.

I can't go down that road as I know if they showed up on a Monday saying we will pay you at pick up I would still take there child. I seriously would as I would feel bad for the child.

They are people who run there own businesses and with all that said they of all people should understand getting paid on time.

I can't mentality do it anymore as my bills need to be paid on time too!
    Last edited by Skysue; 07-29-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Momof4 View Post
    I have a dcMom having financial problems right now too and I'm so nervous that they will make their payments on time so my budget runs smoothly. So I know how you feel, your heart goes out to the clients but you have to remind yourself it's business and we deserve to be paid for our hard work. It tears you apart but we have to pay our bills.

So yes, I agree that you did the right thing, it had to be done and you have to move on to a reliable, respectful family.
    It's different if there up front and can work with you. I know having money issues can be embarrassing but we are running a business and trying to make a living too! It seriously takes the stress off.

I hope your Client and you can keep your line of communication open and honest!
    Last edited by Skysue; 07-29-2013 at 10:24 AM.