Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Due Diligence Question

Hi All,

Just curious if anyone has terminated and given a completely different reason to the parents just to keep peace and protect your business reputation? And as a care giver do you feel like we are required to tell our clients the honest reason for termination in every circumstance when it comes to behavioural issues that the child may have?

Outgoing
    Ive only ever terminated twice: once for continuous lateness and non payment and second was for a little girl who wasn't fitting in ( ie cried all day, refused to participate etc) I make sure any issues parents get a heads up on so any time I term the parents aren't usually surprised. In the instance of the second child, this girl was almost 4 and I was her 5th daycare. Her issues, in my opinion, were all a result of her parents giving in and over indulging her. Instead of saying that, I just said the good of the group comes first and she wasn't fitting in. I think all terminations should be done with as much professionalism as possible. Most people are reasonable and you can find a way to say the truth without completely offending someone

Euphoric !
    I terminated this year and there were many, many reasons, so when I gave the parent the termination letter he started asking me a million questions and I ended up spilling the entire truth. I'm like that! But it was absolutely horrible and if I could do it again I might not have told him everything. But you know what? He NEEDED to hear it! That's one big reason I terminated, becasue the parents never heard a word I said.

So I can see your reasoning but I don't think termination is ever going to be easy, so keep it as professional and brief as possible and sticking to the basics is a good plan.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

Outgoing
    I termed the mother who owed me alot of cash, gave me every excuse (even told me the border gaurds froze her bank accounts) I told her that she was termed after alot of lying. She had to know the truth (she also stiffed girl guides too)

second family, man they were something else. I put up with alot from them, it all boiled down to really bad parenting (I was friends with gma and even she couldn't believe I stuck it out so long) but after the second incident of the boy whipping out his weener and spraying it all over my ds's room they were termed, I didn't even care, I told them everything. They have had a hard time finding daycare and babysitters because thats how bad the kids are. and this was almost 3 yrs ago.

the last family, I would tell them how their child was. Dcg was 18 months old, and a holy terror, so much so that the other kids (I had 3 of them all the same age as her) were so afraid of her. She would steal their toys, push them, bite them, spit on them, oh the crying was crazy with her. I let her parents know how she was. But the last straw was when she started jumping on the other children and hitting them and wrapping her arms around their necks and trying to strangle them. at the same time, moms hours were changing so gma was going to watch her. Otherwise I was terming at the end of the week. The scariest part was when her parents would come she would look at me with these beedy eyes and play all innocent, yet I just finished pulling her off a child she was trying to choke.

Starting to feel at home...
    I've termed twice. Once for a nonstop, all day long crier after trying for 4 months and the other was because of an out of control 7 year old - I'd had her 2.5 years and she just steadily got worse over the years because mom and dad didn't actually want to be real parents they seemed to want me to instill values and manners in their child. It got so bad this child would color on my furniture, smear feces on my walls and the final straw was her spitting in my face. She was exactly like this at home. Parents also bathed this kid maybe, MAYBE once a week, so the poor kid smelled just awful. After trying for literally 2.5 years to help this child and help these ninnies learn how to be unselfish, attentive parents, I was very frustrated to say the least. So once that child spit in my face, I called mom, termed on the spot and told her she needed to get child immediately and that said child was sitting by the door with shoes and coat on. The worst thing is, mom showed up telling me this is normal for a 7 year old. After that, I had to tell her politely, but firmly how I felt and what I felt was needed for this child from the PARENTS. She needed to hear it. Was it hard? Very. But I also felt relieved and that I had fulfilled my 'due diligence' because these people NEEDED to know that this child was a product of their lack of parenting. So as hard as it is, I think I would disclose the real reason why because hopefully it will help the parents help the child

6. The Following User Says Thank You to busydaycarelady For This Useful Post: