Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I have always done M-F and always had a lighter load on Fridays going from 5 to 2. When I had a family with siblings leave just before Xmas I decided that while my money was already down I was only going to take on new families requiring M-Th only. Sometimes I nearly caved as I had to turn away M-F enquiries. It turns out that come September I will only have kids M-Th and had two spots open up due to kiddies going to JK. I have only had 3 kids every day M-F all year and haven't had any M-Th enquiries until a few weeks ago when I got 2 families who want 4 days and grandma is having them the fifth day. I also have another one starting in the New Year M-Th which works fine for me to have a slightly lighter load to settle my newbies in and prior to Xmas. So come September my income goes back up but it was very difficult for nearly 9 months to be sitting at only 3 children out of a possible five. I was really fortunate that my husband got a new job paying a lot more at the time I lost the siblings which made up for my loss. I lose a little money for closing on Fridays but I only work a four day week and can now do volunteer work or academic work towards getting into uni in a year or two which means ADULT TIME :-) :-) Hold out for sure if you can manage it and I wouldn't change your rates or the fact that you serve healthy food and are green as much as possible. The people who would be put off by this are likely families who don't share your values and would likely mean other problems down the line. Maybe to increase awareness of your business would include additional advertising both on Google Places so you always come up in searches and a free website such as webs.com. If you don't have a name for your daycare or would consider changing it then I would also suggest naming your daycare something beginning with one of the earlier letters in the alphabet so that when search results are alphabetical you are always on the first page. I hope these tips help and good luck!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    It takes me on average of 6 months of advertising to get a new client which is frustrating beyond belief! I typically use daycare bear, kijiji, and have even delivered flyers to my immediate neighborhood to drum up business. That being said, at the risk of sounding snooty, we are in the service industry first and foremost. In my opinion the biggest strike against you is your days open. I have been doing this almost 8 years and have had part time clients but never just Mon-Thurs. Parents H

oops hit the wrong key. Parents need to know you are THERE for them. Good luck in your search

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    If you are with an agency why are they not placing children in your home? Are the private rates you are charging in line with what the agency charges?
    Im not sure if this is Alberta wide, but my agency is mainly there to monitor, provide insurance (as its difficult to get privately), and give me the 'accredited' title to get top-up funding. Other than that I'm still my own business and can charge what I want for whatever hours, parents pay me and not the agency. They don't have set prices that they tell us to charge.

And yes, they theoretically are meant to place clients, but I don't feel like their system works all the well. I've heard they have a wait list of 150-200 kids, and I'll occasionally get an email (sent to all providers) with a family's details. I also have a friend who's been on the wait list since April and though they'd fit perfectly in my space (though I wouldn't be comfortable taking their kids since we are close), I've heard nothing from the agency.

Euphoric !
    The kids on the wait list likely need subsidized spaces so they can't be placed till someone using subsidy moves on or more money is found.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by bright sparks View Post
    Hold out for sure if you can manage it and I wouldn't change your rates or the fact that you serve healthy food and are green as much as possible. The people who would be put off by this are likely families who don't share your values and would likely mean other problems down the line. Maybe to increase awareness of your business would include additional advertising both on Google Places so you always come up in searches and a free website such as webs.com. If you don't have a name for your daycare or would consider changing it then I would also suggest naming your daycare something beginning with one of the earlier letters in the alphabet so that when search results are alphabetical you are always on the first page. I hope these tips help and good luck!!
    Thanks! I'm just learning how google works from the being-searched end, I didn't know you could do that with google places! I'll have to get on that!

I did create a website recently, and luckily the name I chose starts with 'c'

Quote Originally Posted by 2cuteboys View Post
    So I just started up my Dayhome in March of this year. Right off the bat I got 2 great kids (siblings, with great parents), and one shortly after that. I was set until June, when my siblings mom decided to quit her job.

Now it's almost August and I still haven't found any replacements, and I'm starting to panic... Hubs and I are getting worried about money and are going to have to start dipping into savings soon if nothing changes.

I'm only open Monday-Thursday, which I'm sure is what people are getting hung up on, but I also charge a bit more than most in the area (technically the same monthly, but for 4 days/week instead of 5, so more overall).

I run a preschool-type program, and am very Eco-conscious (not all organic, but some, I also go by the dirty dozen/clean 15 lists, no artificial sweeteners, mainly homemade, avoid the heavily processed stuff, don't microwave in plastics, use ecofriendly cleaners, etc.). I've communicated it in my ads, and also added a line stating that I can make arrangements for teachers.

Some of that stuff is new (or newly included in my ads), so I know I need to give it some time still, but I'm wondering how long you'd wait before making some changes?
    I really don't want to decrease my rate, nor do I want to work Fridays. But the pressure is getting to me and I feel like I'll need to do something soon.
    Unless you're trying to target a specific group of clienteles - the eco-friendly fanatics - perhaps your ad is turning off those that are on the other side of the fence (and could be that you come across as a fanatic to those neutrals on the issue). I'm saying that too much focus on environment-issues on your ads may be back-firing.
    A lot of parents wouldn't want to have their children "brainwashed" by someone else's ideology if they hardly share the same for one thing,( and you may be coming across as an activist from your ad), and a lot of parents just want a care-free, relaxed and fun place for very young children without the undertones of politics and causes being fought for, is another!
    I'm not sure if I'm articulating it right.....

That, and your days of operation is hurting you, imo. Since you're open only Mon-Thurs, your would-be prospects will be those that need care only on those days.

Outgoing
    i also say hold out! What fellow DCP friends of mine and I have found out, in the daycare business, it can be feast or famine. Meaning there are times when you are bombarded with calls from people looking for daycare even though you are full and sometimes when you are actively looking and advertising like crazy, you won't get many replies. It's true what others have said, it does come in waves, and it is very easy to lose your patience when you aren't getting many bites. I understand that you want a good income, especially if you need 2 incomes in your household. If it were to come down to your savings being depleted, maybe you might want to consider working Monday to Friday, just to stay out of financial trouble. I know you don't want to work the 5 days, but I would rather that then to see you get into money problems. I sincerely hope you aren't faced with that though! Would you consider taking in a child whose parents only need you for a few days if that were to come up? (like 2-3 days) Even that's better than nothing at all, but that's just my opinion, honestly.

Let us know what you come up with.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MonkeyPrincess For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by betsy View Post
    Unless you're trying to target a specific group of clienteles - the eco-friendly fanatics - perhaps your ad is turning off those that are on the other side of the fence (and could be that you come across as a fanatic to those neutrals on the issue). I'm saying that too much focus on environment-issues on your ads may be back-firing.

I don't actually have everything I listed for 'Eco-friendly' in my ad, I think it's just limit sugar, no artificial sweeteners and mainly homemade food. I just listed it all here so you ladies would know I wasn't full of BS.

I did briefly consider taking a couple if children mon-fri, but it would have been the extra day, plus 1/2 hour past my closing time, plus bus stop drop offs (which we don't currently do). I'd be willing to do one, but not all. I mentioned it to a friend though, and they've been having issues with their daycare, so they are going to come here starting in September. It works out well because with only 1 extra, I can still do my groceries Friday and prep so I don't have to do as much on the weekend. Plus she's looking to get a .8 position in the new year, so there's the possibility of dropping down to Monday-Thursday again.

Shy
    I agree that you should hold out. I know how difficult it can be. We're going through the same thing right now. We decided to switch our children to a different school back in April - one family I watch, with 3 kids (one full-time) decided they'd switch too - I found out last week that they've changed their mind. So come September, I'll be down to one part-time child (all my other families having moved on earlier). I've been advertising since June to no avail. And added to things, my husband was laid off five weeks ago, and I'm seven months pregnant! I know that's a real factor in families deciding not to come here, and I've traditionally had trouble finding kids over the summer, but that doesn't make it easier. I'm hoping that come September things will get better and that by December I'll have at least one full-time child (baby is coming October 4th - it's a planned c-section due to prior complications). Either that, or my husband will be back to work! In the meantime, hold out. I'm sure something will come through for you. It always has for us!