Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Outgoing

How long would you hold out?

So I just started up my Dayhome in March of this year. Right off the bat I got 2 great kids (siblings, with great parents), and one shortly after that. I was set until June, when my siblings mom decided to quit her job.

Now it's almost August and I still haven't found any replacements, and I'm starting to panic... Hubs and I are getting worried about money and are going to have to start dipping into savings soon if nothing changes.

I'm only open Monday-Thursday, which I'm sure is what people are getting hung up on, but I also charge a bit more than most in the area (technically the same monthly, but for 4 days/week instead of 5, so more overall).

I run a preschool-type program, and am very Eco-conscious (not all organic, but some, I also go by the dirty dozen/clean 15 lists, no artificial sweeteners, mainly homemade, avoid the heavily processed stuff, don't microwave in plastics, use ecofriendly cleaners, etc.). I've communicated it in my ads, and also added a line stating that I can make arrangements for teachers.

Some of that stuff is new (or newly included in my ads), so I know I need to give it some time still, but I'm wondering how long you'd wait before making some changes?
    I really don't want to decrease my rate, nor do I want to work Fridays. But the pressure is getting to me and I feel like I'll need to do something soon.

Expansive...
    Sorry but you should probably open all week. Your reducing the amount on parents you are going to get interviews for by half since you'll only be able to take part time.
    most parents need full time care.

second of all. if you are charging the same rate as everyone else but are only open 4 days instead of five . . .. why would they go for you?

I'm sure you know all this. . . and Im sure it sucks to hear. . . . but you don't seem to be keeping up with your competition

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cadillac For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    It actually pretty common in my area for parents to work .8 rather than full time. And my justification for price was that when my son was in care the price structure was daily rate for 1-3 days/week, and one flat monthly rate for 4 or 5 days (and she charged more than I'm charging).

I should also mention that I have had a lot of responses, just for the wrong age group (I can't take anymore under 2years - agency rules).

I'm more just wondering how long people go before they start to make changes? I feel like drastic changes would not only make me seem desperate, but it also seems pretty unfair to the parents I already have.
    Last edited by 2cuteboys; 07-29-2013 at 07:05 PM.

Outgoing
    I know in my area no one cares if u are environmentally friendly. I'm wondering if that is a problem, retread what u posted, to me it screams that u too controlling, u know what I mean.

I your ad post if you have a separated area, you have a contract, that u go outside, u do an educational program, r u near any schools or bus routes...

I use to even write reports, do all sorts of stuff but one day I realized that no one cared for all the extra stuff I was offering so I stopped doing it.

Don't give up

Expansive...
    hold out - sometimes it goes in waves . . . no interest for a while the suddenly full. its harder to get older kids since most of them are already established in a daycare. half the time if parents are looking, its cuz something happened in the last daycare.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cadillac For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I know what you mean momofnerds - its something that I do anyway for my kids (and me), and honestly, since it's already in place, I'm using it as a hook.

That's true, Cadillac, I've had a few bad interviews too. I wish I could have more younger ones, or that I had the time for my youngins to graduate to the next age group... but 6 months with only 1 or 2 kids is a bit long !

Euphoric !
    I agree with Cadillac that you should hang in there, keep trying, stay positive and all that. Sometimes it takes a long time to get up and running well. Are you advertising everywhere? You have a lot to re-evaluate about how you are running your daycare so definitely do that. If you reduce your rates by $2/day will you be more in line with your competition? Just wondering.
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I'm right snack dab in the low-middle of ranges for my area. Lowering it would put me very close to the low end. To give you numbers, I've seen $650-$800 (even one $900 ft, $750 for 3 days - I was shocked lol), and I charge $700 - but for 4 days instead of 5.

And yes, I'm advertising everywhere I could find online, some of them are new though.
    Last edited by 2cuteboys; 07-29-2013 at 09:25 PM.

Euphoric !
    I don't think that it is your price or the fact that you use environmental cleaners (many people will find this a plus, some won't care one way or another, then there will be a few who think it's a bad thing...you can't please everyone). You just need to hang in there. Do you have a website? That has been my biggest plus since I opened. How about business cards? Do you have any playgroups or moms groups you could attend and give out your business cards? How about a local caregivers group that you could attend? Otherwise, Kijiji, Daycare Bear and any other advertising you have available to you. On another note, have a look at your set-up, your space, what you are offering in general and make sure it isn't these things that are keeping people away. Good luck!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    If you are with an agency why are they not placing children in your home? Are the private rates you are charging in line with what the agency charges? Also while it might be common for parents to not work a full week if you were available for the full week but allowed parents any 4 days you might get more interest as businesses are open all days and therefore different parents will have different days off. If you are not open on Friday for instance you are missing out on parents that are off Monday but need Friday. It may also be that their days vary so on any given week need to use the day you are closed so don't contact you. A teacher would work the full week would they not?

It does go in waves and generally picks up with back to school especially if you want older kids. At this point I would be inclined to change my open days and offer what will appeal to the greater number of parents and then over time switch to your ideal. Any time you are restrictive you severely limit your clientele.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post: