Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Ontario 5 children insurance

Long post, but needing help. Pretty please. This is for Ontario.

I need to change insurance companies... my current company (Dejardins) only covers 3 kids so I was already wanting to switch. I called them today to inquire about adding a ryder to be able to drive dcks. I was put on hold a long time and then informed that my car insurance would be cancelled in 30 days if I did not send a signed letter stating I was not using car for business. WTH? Hubby has been with company 25 years and they were pure accusatory with me.

Looking for company that will insure 5 daycare plus my two. And ryder for using car with dcks. Price is obviously a consideration. Thanks.

From my search it's unclear.

From what I can tell- mybe wawanesa, co operators, state farm?

Trace of Angels
    TD Meloche Monnex covers me for 6 kids, my own and 5 daycare children. They are covered in my vehicle (although I never have 6 in my vehicle) but on days that I have less than 6 we often do field trips and they have assured me that I am covered and do not need "paying passengers" insurance as it is not a commercial business and just a home based one.
    I would try them. It's not super expensive and it is just a ryder to my home. Meaning they only cover for when a child or parent gets injured on your property, not any food allergies, abuse or neglect (which a commercial daycare insurance policy would cover)
    And since I don't plan on abusing neglecting or serving them a food they are allergic too I feel I am covered pretty well
    But that's just IMO

Shy
    Thx for the reply.

The thing that concerns me about the term "neglect" is the definition. What if someone climbs on and jumps off couch backwards while I am making lunch, breaks neck, not likely but possible... Is that neglect? They have all the money for lawyers to argue it is... so the terminology makes me a little nervous.

If I serve a food that it not listed as allergen, can I be sued?

I simply an not paid enough to pay for this type of issue.

Trace of Angels
    I guess that would be a question to ask them. Accidents do happen :-) for sure. I think the chances of that happening (falling off couch and breaking neck) would be pretty slim but for sure a great question. If after they answer you still feel nervous then I would go for commercial daycare insurance, costs a lot more but you get covered for a lot more but I would ask them that same question too.........more expensive doesn't always mean better.
    I just think when was the last time you heard of parents "suing" a daycare provider in Canada. We are not a "suing" crazy country......maybe it's happened a few times but the chances are pretty slim.
    But again you have to feel comfortable with the coverage you have. I know daycare providers (quite a few actually) that don't have any insurance as they think it's a huge waste of money. They never want to pay out and when and if they do your premium skyrockets!!!!! I guess just like car insurance.......

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trace of Angels For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I just switched to Wawanessa - they cover me for 5 dck plus my own 2 children. I was with Co-operators but they only did 5 kids including my own so that's why I switched. Not sure about the car ryder with Wawanessa though as I don't use my car for daycare.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommyof2princesses For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Try Aviva http://avivacanada.com/.

I was with Pilot insurance but they took it over a few years ago.

Outgoing
    We went through Costco. Can't remember who they sent it out to but I am covered for home, auto and daycare for 5 children PLUS my own. Hubby took care of all the info but trust me, I called around a ton of companies and Costco's agent offered us the best deal. There are pamphelets at the front of the store, grab one and give them a call :-)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sassygirl For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I am with Wawanesa and am covered for 5 dck's plus my own. I had a ryder on my van as well, but no longer use my van for daycare so cancelled it. Cooperators was more expensive when I enquired. I will have to look into Costco though...I didn't know they did insurance!

Shy
    Wawanesa, it will be. $150 more a month, ouch. Thanks for the input.