Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Advice please!!!!!!!!! Feeding tube

What would you ladies do if........you had a dck who needed a feeding tube and needed feeding 3x/day, once being at your daycare during nap time while she sleeps. Feeding is done by the bag that hangs on a pole (like you see at the hospital) and goes through the pump and down the tube that goes through her nose and into her stomach. Before the feeding takes place you have to use a stethoscope and listen near her belly (for what sound I am not sure) to make sure the tube is in the right place so the formula goes to her tummy and not in her lungs or some other place it shouldn't be. I am not sure about all this and the things that could happen Would you accept her into care like that? Any advice is greatly appreciated! TIA

Outgoing
    Nope... I think my insurance company would not allow it. You need to check with them to make sure they will cover increased risk.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to treeholm For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I would but I would have to charge for the procedure. I'm a RN though.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

5. The Following User Says Thank You to daycarewhisperer For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    No...not a chance! I am not trained in the medical field. Way too much risk and responsibility and it would be very difficut to give that kind of specialized care while caring for 4 other kids. I would think that they would be better off with a nanny with some training in these things.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sunnydays For This Useful Post:

I am pretty confident that no insurance company would cover you to carry out this kind of thing regardless of whether you were an RN past or present, or not. It's not being carried out in the healthcare field, and the liabilities are HUGE!!! I have experience with feeding tubes having originally come from working in healthcare, but even I know better than to take on a child with these needs in a home daycare setting.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I wouldn't and not because of insurance since the insurance coverage for daycare is such a waste anyways (They will only cover a fall on sidewalk basically and not anything that they will deem preventable or you being neglectful). They left themselves a huge loophole. I doubt they will pay for much of anything that your regular home insurance doesn't cover based on conversations with insurance companies earlier this year.

But back on topic - the reason I wouldn't do it is based on the sheer responsibility of it. If something goes wrong, you would feel horrible and you could potentially lose your daycare.

Also, you are caring for multiple children and it seems this child may need more 1 on 1 attention and should really have a nanny or someone specifically catering to her needs. It is a lot to take on feeding tubes with other kids around and when you never know what the other kids might need from you on any given day.

Best of luck

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    no I wouldn't. I was a nurse and i wouldn't even do it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to momofnerds For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would not take on that responsibility. What if one of the other children pulled on the tube by accident? I think that is covered under our sick policies. If a child is too ill to participate in our daily programs then they must be kept at home.

I think you are a wonderful person to consider this mommyof2princesses, but please, please do not take that responsibility on yourself. This child NEEDS her parents!
    Frederick Douglass
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Momof4 For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    The potential for problems developing of a serious medical nature outweigh the income you would get. I realize this means losing two children but don't let your concern for loss of income cloud how restrictive and time consuming the feeding will be.

Even many schools now won't even let the parents come to the school at noon to do the feeds and require a nurse to be present while they are done. It is possible the family would qualify to have a nurse come for the feeds. Given all of the issues this child has they should probably look into either a nanny or a daycare centre that can accommodate medical needs. The advantage of the daycare centre with specialized help is that they will also have access to other professionals to help monitor the child's other issues.

If this was your only family and you wanted to be trained in the procedure that would be fine but consider the liabilities of you being in the middle of inserting the tube and another child screams for help or time goes by and bag is empty and too much air is getting into system because you were busy changing a bum and lost track of time.

Is there a chance the family would leave the brother with you so his life can stay normal but move the sister to a centre where she will also receive the medical care she needs.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Shy
    This would be scary enough to do to my own children. There is no way I would do it for a dck. The chances of something going wrong and the child becoming sick or worse (dying if tube in wrong place) are too great and I don't think it is a smart move. On top of that, you are going to be taking so much time to be with this little one, your other kids are going to suffer. I would just explain to the parents that it is not something you can be responsible for. If they are half decent parents, they will understand. I know you may lose money if she is out for a long period of time, but I would prefer to lose some cash, than to lose a child or my career. Good luck to you. I can't believe they even asked you to do such a thing!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama W2 For This Useful Post: