Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama W2 View Post
    This would be scary enough to do to my own children. There is no way I would do it for a dck. The chances of something going wrong and the child becoming sick or worse (dying if tube in wrong place) are too great and I don't think it is a smart move. On top of that, you are going to be taking so much time to be with this little one, your other kids are going to suffer. I would just explain to the parents that it is not something you can be responsible for. If they are half decent parents, they will understand. I know you may lose money if she is out for a long period of time, but I would prefer to lose some cash, than to lose a child or my career. Good luck to you. I can't believe they even asked you to do such a thing!

I agree ! To me it seems that they are looking for the cheapest and easiest solution to meet their needs so that neither of the parents would have to lose their job or that they wouldn't have to pay a nurse or nanny more.
    What better way to save money than asking your existing daycare to take on that responsibility.
    I am sure they are stressed and were not expecting to deal with this issue but I really get the feeling that they are putting too much trust in a daycare provider and thinking about what is cheapest and easiest for them rather than what is in the best interest of their child

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Spixie33 For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks for the advice everyone...I told dad this morning that I don't feel comfortable doing it and won't do it, but will also tell him about the insurance part of it ( I never thought of that). All in all I think I just may have to let them go as much as I don't want to its just too much of a risk and liability with having her here and all the other children too.

I love this forum and all of you for helping me out and giving me such good advice

apples and bananas
    Good call! I wouldn't have taken on the responsibility either. I would be too stressed about doing it right or wrong. And if something went wrong in my care it could ruin my business.

I would, however, let the parent come in and do the procedure as long as there was no issue after the procedure was done or risks coming from it. But even this would be a long shot. I would really have to be hard up for clients to take even this much on.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to apples and bananas For This Useful Post:

So I called my insurance and they didn't give an outright "no" but are "strongly" suggesting I don't take her back until the feeding tube is out!

Outgoing
    I am a present licensed RN in the State of Iowa. I wouldn't charge an insurance company. I would charge the parents. If I were being paid the going rate for the service I would take additional training and do the procedure. I would not do it for free. Anywhere else this child acceses health care charges for this. Child care shouldn't be any different.
    Home of child care expertise. Child care consultant for home providers, child care centers, and parents. http://daycarewhisperer.com/
    Please join us on Facebook
    https://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/daycare.whisperer

8. The Following User Says Thank You to daycarewhisperer For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    The fact the child reached 15 months without mom seeking medical advice tells me that she is still in denial - like ok we take the tube, we go home, and life goes back to normal. This is a really big deal and only the start of a very long process that little girl is going to face. There may already be some brain damage from lack of nutrition meaning the brain never catches up to what it's potential could have been or they discover down the road there is a genetic condition responsible for the issues. By encouraging mom to go to a daycare centre where there is help may be the best thing you can do for this child.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to playfelt For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I don't think the parents were/are trying to take the cheap route as some are mentioning, this child and brother are already in her care and maybe wanted to keep as much routine and normality for the kids during this stressful time. The trust is already established so why wouldn't the parents want to try and keep that in their lives? Just my thoughts

12. The Following User Says Thank You to abster For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    why does she have a tube to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    The fact the child reached 15 months without mom seeking medical advice tells me that she is still in denial - like ok we take the tube, we go home, and life goes back to normal.
    This is exactly how they seem to think playfelt...it frustrates me as what she has is called oral sensory processing disorder and it requires extensive therapy. She still isn't eating, just being tube fed 3x/day formula.

Quote Originally Posted by momofnerds View Post
    why does she have a tube to begin with.
    momofnerds...this 15 month old dcg has a feeding tube in her nose and is fed formula 3x/day because since the time the parents started trying to feed her baby cereal, etc she has refused to eat/drink anything but breastfeeding, not even in a bottle or water, etc. Therefore this caused her to lose a ton of weight, not be able to walk, crawl, sit up from a laying on back position, etc. All the things a toddler should be able to do. She has basically been starving for the past several months and the parents let it go too long. Its not just that she is stubborn like everyone thought, she has an actual oral sensory processing disorder and it takes a long time to "fix" everything.