Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Shy
    i wouldnt take on the responsibility either for many reasons. one, im not trained to do so. two, the other kids in my care would suffer as well since i would not be able to do the things that i also do with them such as swimming/skating lessons, drop in playgroups etc.

i also have always said that i wont take in a child that would change our lifestyle and family too much as in a peanut allergy since the peanut butter is a staple in my home.

i think that this family is trying to find a cheaper way to care for their child, i seems to me they may be trying to take advantage of your kindness.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mac For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sunnydays View Post
    DCW, while it is true that the nurse or other healthcare provider is paid for their labour, here in Canada, we do not directly pay for our healthcare nor do we have to put it through insurance (except for medications, prescriptions, etc). So if the parents are having this procedure done at the hospital, they do not pay for it.
    Personally, I think this child should not be in a home daycare any more. Her issues are too big for one provider to deal with unless running a specialized care facility.
    Sunnydays I do have to disagree somewhat with the above. Not all specialty care is coverered. My friend has a child with a feeding tube (in the stomach mind you). They have a nurse for him as there are other issues as well. OHIP covers half of the expense of the nurse while he is in school only and her benefits cover the other half. During the summer months they are out of pocket for the half that the OHIP would normally pay as he is not in school. And she is paid $30/hour! So it's not always covered and the parent may not have any benefits to cover the other half.
    Obviously this is a more specialized type of care & if she was able to care for this child, I would definately charge more (maybe not nursing rates) but something.

Expansive...
    I feel bad that the parents would have a hard time finding care but that responsibility is waaaaay to much. how would you cope if something happened? not worth it.

Starting to feel at home...
    When my oldest son was 2 he had an ng tube, my youngest son was about 6 months old at the time. the ng was a huge pain. I can't even count how many times eoin pulled it out when he was sleeping because i wasn't watching him like a hawk, and i caught him pulling it out often and learned how to push it back before it was too far gone and we had to go back to clinic which was also awful because i would have to entertain two kids in a clinic for hours while i waited and we were already there at least once a week anyway. and we had tube taped down in every spot that was not up his nose and it still came out. personally I would not take on a kid with a ng, it was just so much work watching to make sure it didn't come out, and as his parent I would not have wanted anyone else to watch him either. it was hard enough to leave him with Grandma because she would have freaked out if it come out! there's almost always puking involved when he pulled it out. I had my hands full with only 1 extra kid I can imagine doing it with 6 plus my son with the tube

Shy
    I'm afraid I would have to agree with the other providers. I would not take on the responsibility, I would not feel comfortable or qualified.

Shy
    Personally, I wouldnt do it. Its a huge responsibility and yes, I agree with the insurance issue as well.

I am not a medical professional. I admire those who are and would leave this to them. The liability issue is a huge concern as well.